Pullet Butt Pecked Bloody... Isolated.. .now what?

Ravynia_30

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 2, 2010
Show Low, AZ
Ok... So I have two flocks in one coop. I got three chicks, and then 3 months later got three more. I kept the three new chicks seperated into a small chicken hutch for several months inside the coop... and then intergrated them into the existing flock a few hours at a time until there was no aggression. However the younger chicks never really became part of the old chickens flock.

Now the youngest is 21 weeks. They are starting to lay, and everything was going fine... until last night. This morning we got up and found Buttercup... our 21 week old Buff Brahma... with her butt all pecked bloody. She is missing chunks of flesh. We immediately isolated her in the chicken hutch she grew up in.... but I don't know what to do for the injury. I was thinking Blu-Kote... but then I read it's mostly an antifungal. She doesn't have a fungus infection, she has a 2 inch long - 1 inch wide bloody gash under her tail.

Don't suggest putting her down unless there is no other option. She is a pet... and a layer. I want to help her... not kill her.

I only have access to the internet for the next 2 hours... so please answer quickly!

Thank you....

1) What type of bird , age and weight.
21 week old Buff Brahma.. .I dont know her weight but she's a big bird.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
She is acting fine, in fact she seems only to want to return to her flock (she is the lead hen of the younger birds)

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
Since this morning... she was fine when the hens went to bed last night.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
Kiko, my 21 week old White Cochin is the one that did the pecking (we found her face covered in blood) but no other birds are injured.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
Just the big gash. It doesn't include Buttercup's cholachea...

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I have no idea. The younger birds are just starting to lay eggs within the last week or so, perhaps this contributed?

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Layer Pellets, the occasional handful of scratch and half an apple the other day

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Poop is normal so far...

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Isolation from the other hens.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I live in a tiny town where I seriously doubt there is a chicken friendly vet. I want to take care of her myself.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
No picture.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
We use the deep litter method inside the hen house... and just dirt in the coop (what my hubby calls the chicken yard). 12x 8 total size and 4x8 hen house 8x8 chicken yard... and then once a day they get supervised time outside the coop... just running about in the yard.

I'd use the Blukote and keep her away from her coopmates until she heals. Is there enough space? Picking is sometimes a reaction to crowded conditions.

They have tons of space. maybe not enough roosts... but lots of space... inside the coop and out. What does the blukote do for them? If it's an antifungal I don't understand how it helps on injuries?

Quote:
It's germicidal and fungicidal.

You do meet the recommended minimum space requirements, but do not exceed them by much. They could be feeling crowded in spite of this, because, as you say, you have two flocks. I have at least three -- they keep away from each other, pretty far away, but I free range. They sleep in 3 different places in the coop; sometimes some of them sleep outside the coop.

The main thing is to isolate her til healed and keep the wound clean. If you prefer to wash the wound with a mild soapy water solution or just plain water or saline, then use an antibiotic ointment, that will probably work just as well. If the wound gets poopy, it needs to be cleaned, of course. If that happens, I would put a lubricant on it such as mineral oil or vaseline -- actually I'd use antibiotic ointment because it is a vaseline type base.

I'll get the blukote. and we are going to put more and bigger roosts in tomorrow. I think that has a lot to do with it... right now both flocks are being forced to sleep in the same space... when they really don't like each other much. Kiko is part of the flock Buttercup rules... but I'm thinking stress from shared sleeping space had something to do with this.

Thank you so much for your help. I will keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom