Pullet cant move

Mooocoow7

Songster
May 1, 2020
Norcal
I have a 20 something week old Wyandotte hen and she cant walk. This started last night but it seemed like she just really needed to lay an egg so I put her in a nesting box. Come this morning she had moved 3 feet and was lying on the floor. She is eating and drinking normally and I can't tell if her leg is broken. She sometimes trys to move but doesn't have much success. What do I do.

Attachments

• 16005251059181590212851001752729.jpg
    16005251059181590212851001752729.jpg
    517.4 KB · Views: 7
Lift her up and feel different points on her legs. If she reacts strongly in pain to any of your touches, or if anything feels broken, then you know her leg is
broken. You may want to consider a chicken sling:
chicken sling.jpg

A towel with three holes cut in it: one for each leg and one for poop. This takes the weight off their legs.

Lift her up and feel different points on her legs. If she reacts strongly in pain to any of your touches, or if anything feels broken, then you know her leg is
broken. You may want to consider a chicken sling:
View attachment 2340169
A towel with three holes cut in it: one for each leg and one for poop. This takes the weight off their legs.
She didn't react strongly in pain an nothing felt broken. But ill do it again when I have someone else to hold her and I can do a more thorough inspection. I do have a dog crate but its on the loft in the barn and I can't get it down without a second person.

She didn't react strongly in pain an nothing felt broken. But ill do it again when I have someone else to hold her and I can do a more thorough inspection. I do have a dog crate but its on the loft in the barn and I can't get it down without a second person.
It's good that nothing feels broken. Do you have any electrolytes you can put in her water? Even diluted gatorade can help. Do her eyes look normal? Pupils are normal, dilate when you shine a light in them, etc?

This may sound strange, but cannyou insert a clean or gloved finger into her vent where she lays eggs, and feel for a stuck egg?. Can she move either leg? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Sometimes being egg bound will cause a temporary lameness. She also could have suffered an injury. Mareks disease would also be a possibility. Do you have any rooster who might have injured her? What do you feed your chickens?

It's good that nothing feels broken. Do you have any electrolytes you can put in her water? Even diluted gatorade can help. Do her eyes look normal? Pupils are normal, dilate when you shine a light in them, etc?
I'll give her some Gatorade and her eyes look normal and dilate with a flashlight.

Back
Top Bottom