Pullet can't stand-feet curled

Eggcessive has good suggestions...I've considered Coccidiosis as well...you might try Sulmet. That treats coccidosis and as a sulphur drug would also treat gram negative bacterial diseases such as Coryza.

I've used Sulmet when I didn't know if it was coccidia or bacterial in a "hail mary" pass to help a bird that is going down fast. Often it works. Follow instructions on label for chickens.

LofMc

Here's more info. She was born at the first of August. She's down to 1 pound 12 ounces. I gave her a Duramycin water tube feeding this morning. I mixed the powder in her drinking water. Then used the water to make a slurry of her Kaytee baby bird food. Made it very watery.

I have Corid and Sulfadimethoxine powder. Which should I use? And at what strength should I mix it?

The Corid powder dosage is 1.5 tsp per gallon, or 3/4 tsp per quart of water for 5 days. Afterward, give some poultry vitamins and probiotics to help promote good gut bacteria and to replace lost vitamins.

Thanks. That's how I mixed it. I dosed her at 7:30 with Corid and Duramycin with a really runny Kaytee baby bird food. At the advice of Casportpony's posts on tube feeding I am alternating electrolyte water to make sure she's hydrated. I'm hoping to see improvement tomorrow after being on antibiotics for 24 hours.

Use the Corid since you also have Duramycin. I would use both in water that you tube. I dont have Corid dosage memorized so follow pkg.

The dose on the Corid package is for cattle, and cattle get 1/2 what chickens get.

Chicken dose = 1.5 teaspoons per gallon
Cattle dose = 3/4 teaspoons per gallon

-Kathy

My pullet got worse over night. She was barely alive this morning. I had to cull her. When I went to my young chicken coop this afternoon I found another dead. No signs of diarrhea. I have her in the refrigerator and will take her to MSU in the morning for a necropsy. I am trying to stay calm and form a plan. I'm not sure what to do. I don't know if I should dose all of them to try to prevent spread of this. Do I entirely clean and disinfect both coops? I'm beginning my research. If anyone has suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm sorry for your loss. It's good that you are getting a necropsy done, since that will ease your mind to get a diagnosis. I would start the others on Corid for 5 days. If it is coccidiosis, all chickens get exposed to it in the ground, and the Corid will not harm them. Let us know what you find out from MSU.

Back
Top Bottom