Pullet/Cockerel Queries?

its the big red comb for the age, a pullet won't develop that until around 16 weeks. Also the EEs feather pattern is quite male.

Agreed.

By feather pattern, we mean the splotches of red all over the wings and back.
Oh! So red splotches = cockerel? OK. I didn't know that.
Also, if the red comb before 16 weeks indicates a male, I think (very sadly) that I have four more roos in the making... I have an Isbar, 2 Lavender Orps, and a Black Copper Marans who have red combs already and only 3 weeks old :hmm
Oh, well. That's the risk we take when we start this chicken habit, right?

They are definitely gorgeous!! Loooove their patterns :love
Thank you! The variety and beauty of the chicken breeds is one of the top draws for me. I really wanted that EE to be a pullet because she was so pretty. It seems like the cutest chicks are always boys :barnie

My husband really likes the pattern on the GLW - he is happy that the consensus is "pullet"

Oh! So red splotches = cockerel? OK. I didn't know that.
Also, if the red comb before 16 weeks indicates a male, I think (very sadly) that I have four more roos in the making... I have an Isbar, 2 Lavender Orps, and a Black Copper Marans who have red combs already and only 3 weeks old :hmm
Oh, well. That's the risk we take when we start this chicken habit, right?
Most likely cockerels. You can post pics if you like and we can take a look for you.

My husband and I are debating the gender of these 8-9 week old chickens. I think one is a little Roo in training and he thinks it is the other. (We heard a suspicious squawk this morning!) One is a Gold Laced Wyandotte. The other (white and red) is an Easter Egger (RIR cross, I guess). Praying it isn't BOTH of them! :eek:Of course they (and 5 others) were all sold as pullets. Would anyone care to weigh in? Thank you!
Your Splash EE is a cockerel.

Your Splash EE is a cockerel.
Such a bummer. Of the four, he is the calmest and easiest to pick up. Comes up to me every day and just sits down in front of me, takes dandelion leaves from my hand, or watches me clean the coop. I hate to sell him but we can not have roos this close to the city. *sigh*

OK... Sorry it took me so long.. We have 9 four-week old chicks. I am pretty sure a couple are boys wondering about guesses whether pullet or cockerel. Here are the Brabanters. This is my first time with this breed and I can not find much online about them. There are two. One is cream and one gold, I think. The pics are mostly the cream one. They are outside in the coop now that it is warm enough but I can't easily scoop them up for a photo shoot like when they are in the brooder. (Sorry about the nasty wet ground, we have had a TON of rain in Michigan and the ground everywhere is fully saturated but they want to go catch bugs so that is where they go when the rain stops...) In the second photo, the chick on the left is either my Sewdish Flower or Cream Legbar pullet. In the third photo of two Brabanters, the cream is on the left and darker (gold) one is on the right. Last photo is just under a week old (so cute! so fluffy!)
k
1625026602743.png
1625026743201.png
1625026650442.png
1625026709166.png
1625026681603.png
1625027348135.png

Back
Top Bottom