Pullet, cockrel, or standby?

jsgravel

Chirping
May 8, 2020
I have a friend who raises meat birds semi-commercially, and she said anything that has red on it before 10 weeks is going to be a cockrel. I have longtime hobby farm chicken friends who agree. So either I am the unluckiest of unlucky at picking chicks from the farm store and managed to get 50 percent male or... Well, I dunno! I'm going to post them in separate posts to keep them separate, I'm only using I think four because they share characteristics with others in the same breed. All of them are hatched approx April 1, they are hatchery "breeds" so don't hold it against me.

So this is CLEARLY, to me, a roo. Sapphire Olive Egger, he has all the typical characteristics.

Sweet roo 1.jpg
Sweet roo 2.jpg

And then there is this birdie, same breed but definitely red wattles. Body more like the one up above, just darker, in fact probably the one behind the light grey one in the third pic above.
Maybe 2.jpg
Maybe.jpg

This is, to me, a male wyandotte. He's very red and a total jerk, jumps on the other birds feet first, very quick to peck and harass. Body looks like the other wyandottes. I have five, three have red like him but the comb isn't as developed/rough, and two have yellow combs
Asshole again.jpg
Asshole.jpg

This is, to me, a male wyandotte. He's very red and a total jerk, jumps on the other birds feet first, very quick to peck and harass. Body looks like the other wyandottes. I have five, three have red like him but the comb isn't as developed/rough, and two have yellow combsView attachment 2129585View attachment 2129586.
This very easily could be a little cockerel. I’d watch his comb growth over the next week to verify though.

To see if it grows/changes, or ? I've been taking pictures of them all from the start and comparing, seeing who is turning red. I'm just worried because so many have red, and I'm being told ANY red means cockrel, in fact I was told "it is a precocious pullet who has red even at 10 weeks."

Back
Top Bottom