Pullet, cockrel, or standby?

To see if it grows/changes, or ? I've been taking pictures of them all from the start and comparing, seeing who is turning red. I'm just worried because so many have red, and I'm being told ANY red means cockrel, in fact I was told "it is a precocious pullet who has red even at 10 weeks."
I have many females that have red in thier combs and wattle. I dont thing color has a big effect.... But I was told from a hatchery if the inside feathers of a birds wings are even, or cut off looking at a young age its a rooster. Long uneven feathers are female. I think I see some pullets in there.

To see if it grows/changes, or ? I've been taking pictures of them all from the start and comparing, seeing who is turning red. I'm just worried because so many have red, and I'm being told ANY red means cockrel, in fact I was told "it is a precocious pullet who has red even at 10 weeks."
Yes, I have a Wyandotte cockerel. His started out getting red
Towards the top and red waddles. Then the comb started growing increasingly brighter red and larger.
It will change rather quickly. Mine is about 6 weeks old.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 27AF44BC-5E6A-492E-93E2-50E797C54339.jpeg
    27AF44BC-5E6A-492E-93E2-50E797C54339.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 13
@ehlehnaaah mine are older than in your picture (useful tho, thank you!), will it still work on nearly 6 week old chicks?
i just read in another post that it only works with certain breeds and only for the first 3 days since hatching. i just wanted to show you what the previous person was talking about 😊 i tried too but i have silkies and they are pretty hard to sex in general lol

Oh well! Thank you for the info. Erm... I ordered more chicks because what I was being told was basically anything that had red was a cockrel. Looks like I may have too many birds now :idunno

Oh well! Thank you for the info. Erm... I ordered more chicks because what I was being told was basically anything that had red was a cockrel. Looks like I may have too many birds now :idunno
i’m pretty sure one of my silkies is a cockerel so i ordered 2 lavender bantam cochins and one more silkie :weelol i’m also thinking of adding some call ducks to my flock.. haha! good luck 👍🏻

So far, I'd agree that the first pic is a cockerel. The next two, pullets. I'd lean towards cockerel on the last one too, but not at all sure. As for any red at all before 10 weeks ALWAYS meaning roo... I call BS. This is my Dominique, who is unquestionably a pullet, @ a littler over 9 weeks old. The first sign of red beginning was a couple weeks before that. She is a very sweet girl who's favorite place to be is my lap. Different breeds mature at different rates, and individuals within the same breed can be a little ahead/behind the curve as well.

Attachments

• 20200502_170131~2.jpg
    20200502_170131~2.jpg
    997.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20200502_170112~2.jpg
    20200502_170112~2.jpg
    789.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20200502_193532~2.jpg
    20200502_193532~2.jpg
    706.8 KB · Views: 5
Oh my she's GORGEOUS!! 😍 OK I feel better about not possibly losing some of my favorites now, and I can sell the extra chicks (after I pick the ones I want to keep that is, haha).

Back
Top Bottom