pullet covered in egg yolk?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chooniecat, May 19, 2010.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    there were a couple of broken eggs in outside pen in dirt this a.m.(been happening lately) and I didn't notice my delaware pullet(shes white ,generally ) until this afternoon after I turned them out and she was TOTALLY covered in yolk. what IS that about possibly?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Sounds like she ate some egg. If they are laying in their run, I would wait until later in the day to turn them out of the coop, so that eggs can be laid in the coop, in the nestbox, where they belong.

3. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    I could wait to turn them out,which I have thought of, but just wondered why it was litterally all over her. I don't remember noticing her earlier,noticed at least 2 eggs had been laid and broken in their pen,but she looks to have rolled in it or been chasing one of them when they were running with a broken egg. I am going to continue letting them roam into pen and watch them earler in day, they're within eye dustance, and try to catch the pen laying and see what happens when whomever is doing it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by