Pullet Cream Legbar with swollen legs!

J Podlewski

In the Brooder
Sep 21, 2021
Hi, I have an assorted flock of 13 chickens, 3 of which are Cream Legbars. My flock is at the age that they are just starting to give us eggs over the past couple of week. Haven’t had any from them yet, but could be any day. This girl has always been smaller and more pale than the other two, but she also has no comb to speak of. She doesn’t run up for treats like the others and usually stays sort of nested on the ground. Today I got a look at her legs a freaked out! They are huge! The poor thing! I checked her out all over and I don’t see any signs of parasites or creepy crawlers. Her legs are smooth and not crusty, but they do feel hot. Her feet look normal. She is on the thin side. Anyone know what’s going on, or what I can do to help her? I included a picture of the other two girls so you can see the difference, although I’m sure you know already.

Attachments

• 4E3F21F3-C328-4D86-97C7-341309A6FA63.jpeg
    4E3F21F3-C328-4D86-97C7-341309A6FA63.jpeg
    511.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 482EA7B8-1CF9-4528-8810-CAD26D619E4C.jpeg
    482EA7B8-1CF9-4528-8810-CAD26D619E4C.jpeg
    766.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 7D3162C3-63B6-4668-A733-8DC3A35219E5.jpeg
    7D3162C3-63B6-4668-A733-8DC3A35219E5.jpeg
    645 KB · Views: 8
You just noticed today so you have no idea how long her legs have looked this way?

Is a vet an option? This poor bird looks deathly ill.

Could be something like Marble Leg disease ( Osteopetrosis) which is associated with Avian Lymphoid Leukosis.

I'm not sure if there's really anything you can do. If vet care is in your budget, then asking them for advice would be a good idea.
If you lose her, consider getting a necropsy to find out more.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rooster-with-elephantiasis.1219995/

You just noticed today so you have no idea how long her legs have looked this way?

Is a vet an option? This poor bird looks deathly ill.
I don’t know how long her legs have been that big, but I like to think it can’t have been very long, or I would have noticed. The strange part is she acts totally normal. She is still in there with the rest of them going for the daily fruit & veggies treats. She has always been behind the rest in development though.

Could be something like Marble Leg disease ( Osteopetrosis) which is associated with Avian Lymphoid Leukosis.

I'm not sure if there's really anything you can do. If vet care is in your budget, then asking them for advice would be a good idea.
If you lose her, consider getting a necropsy to find out more.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rooster-with-elephantiasis.1219995/
Thanks, I’ll have to look that up. She actually acts like a happy little bird, but I know they are good at hiding it when they are sick. I’ll have to see if we can find a vet in our area that works with chickens that doesn’t charge an arm and a leg.

Wow! How long has she been acting like that? Forever or just recently?
She has always been behind the others developmentally and size wise, but the swollen legs, to be honest, I’m not sure how long that’s been going on. I don’t think it’s been very long though, or I would have noticed. I’m out there with them every day giving them fresh fruit and veggies. She is always right there in with the rest of them getting her fair share. She acts like a normal chicken other than her little robot walk. It doesn’t slow her down.

I don’t know how long her legs have been that big, but I like to think it can’t have been very long, or I would have noticed. The strange part is she acts totally normal. She is still in there with the rest of them going for the daily fruit & veggies treats. She has always been behind the rest in development though.
Are you in the US?

Back
Top Bottom