Pullet Died....looking for possibilities.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LittleFeat, Jun 21, 2010.

1. LittleFeat

LittleFeat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    My favorite little pullet Frisbee died yesterday, Sunday. [​IMG] She was an EE right at 11 months old. She had been laying eggs very regularly and I'd noticed no change in her up until I found her dead in the run. In hindsite, she did seem to be "dust/damp sand" bathing more than usual Saturday afternoon and it was hot. Otherwise she seemed to be a healthy, happy and friendly little girl.

I'm thinking it might have been one of two possibilities and want your experienced opinions so I might prevent any possible future deaths.

1st off: 2 weeks ago my DH sprayed a fence row with Roundup. The chickens are only out for about 1 1/2 hour each night, but they do eat along that area but I didn't notice whether she was over there any or not. Actually I was out of town the day and day after that he sprayed , and no I wasn't happy at all when I found out he had!! But he just didn't think about it possibly being a problem.

2nd. Yesterday was VERY hot....highs upper 90's and the chickens were all panting continuously. They have shade and also damp sand to dig in. I've been leaving all windows and the pop door open at night so they should have plenty of ventilation if there is any breeze at all. I didn't have any fans before her death (since corrected with one big box fax blowing through the run and one small fan blowing on the roosts) She came down the ramp as usual about 5:30 am and around 8:30 or 9:00 I noticed her laying dead in the run.

My questions: Do you think the Roundup could have killed her and would it have taken that long? OR do you think it was more likely the heat? OR do you think it could have been something totally different?

She was such a cute little pullet and I hate that my inexperience might have caused her death but I definitely want to learn from the experience!

Any ideas???

2. laceynoelle

laceynoelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2009
    Reno
    [​IMG] I think it may have been the heat. Im sorry you lost her. I know some people on here talk about feeding the chicks frozen water melon in the summer time and that helps.

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    So sorry you lost Frisbee. I dont know if Roundup was the cause or not, I've never used it. I dont know if the heat wouldve done it neither. We had record heat practically all last week in the upper 90's followed with 100,then 102 the next day, the humidity was way up there too. My EE, Susie, is about the same age as Frisbee. She was panting heavily, wings spread open a little. This was the first time we've had record heat in many years, and a first for all my chickens. I put a fan in the coop, blowing air thru the entrance to their house to circulate the air inside...it is well ventilated. All my chickens were under bushes or in holes they had dug, throughout most of the day. All of them had their mouths open and most of them had their wings spread. The exception were the Barred Rocks, I wouldve thought they wouldve had their wings spread also since they are the biggest hens I have. When they all went in for the night, I sprayed their roof with water as well as the holes they dug to sit in, so that they'd be cooler in them the next day. The third day, I gave them chilled watermelon from then on and they loved that. I changed their water twice a day and put ice cubes in it. I think if she had ingested Roundup contaminated grass... she wouldve wobbled, stumbled or fallen down the ramp when she came out the next morning, giving you an indication something was wrong. Furthermore, others wouldve been affected also. I think if it was the heat, it would be a heat stroke that most likely would occur in the afternoon when it's the hottest part of the day. Sorry, I wish I had an answer for you and wasnt much help. Take care.

4. LittleFeat

LittleFeat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Thanks for your replies. I have fans going now and will freeze some treats. I've been giving them fresh lettuce and squash as I figured the extra watery vegetables would be good. They also have a big waterer that I change daily. I did put a frozen milk jug of water in there yesterday but they shied away from it. I'm at work now but DH is home and has been watching them closely today. He said they aren't panting today so maybe all is fine for now. Again thanks for your responses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by