Pullet died

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by donnaIL, Dec 13, 2008.

1. donnaIL

donnaIL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    SouthernIL
    My husband found a dead pullet in the nest box 2 days ago (she was 8 months old). Under her was a broken egg. She was a large bird, I thought the prettiest because of her size and seemed to be in perfect health the day before & with my luck she is the one that lays the beautiful dark dark brown eggs.

A couple of possibilities have crossed my mind.

First was because it is colder, and they free range less I am giving them more treats (scratch and some mixed bird seed), that maybe she did not consuming enough oyster shells to break down the seed mix. I do spread oyster shells & grit in the run..(I have spread at least 100lbs since early spring, so its not limited)

Second and I think the more realistic possibility. This hen sat on the nest for long periods of time. One beautiful day I opened the coop and she remained on the nest for hours. I thought that maybe she had a broodiness tendancy, but now think that maybe she had a difficult time laying large eggs. I believe that she died from being egg bound. I did not autospy her, but examined her and there was a milky discharge from the vent, everything else looked normal.

We have had some freezing weather last few weeks and have been dealing with frozen water a couple of times, but I do water them each day sometimes more than once.

Do any of you have chickens that take hours to lay an egg? Do you think that was a possiblity, just like some animals have birthing problems? Comments welcome.

2. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Sorry for your loss.

3. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I have an EE hen that takes a long time to lay her eggs, I am concerned that she may someday become eggbound, also.

I have never had a chicken that has been eggbound, but I had finches who would be eggbound, when I raised them.

I am sorry for your loss, and I wish I could be of more help. I would guess eggbound, also, if it were my hen that I found like that, though.

meri

4. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Hate to hear that. You have to be very upset. I'd hate to find one of my three hens or my rooster dead. Best of luck with your others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by