Pullet egg bound for 3+ days, when to cull?

Nenad

Songster
May 4, 2021
Serbia, Bačka Palanka
I've done everything that is suggested, baths, calcium, oil after bath, massages, warm and dark place but nothing changed. I've managed to get her to poop. She mostly stays in one place, comb is nice and red, she eats and drinks good. I can see and feel the egg if I try to push it out. She had bloody vent prolapse and soft shelled egg before this current stuck egg. Prolapse went in immediatly after bath and stayed there. When is it time to end it if she won't get better? She isn't better or worse after 3 days. Thanks.

Please tell us the strength of the calcium you've been giving this hen. Is it at least 600mg? What form is it? Calcium citrate, calcium carbonate, or calcium gluconate? Have you given it every day?

Do you have a vet you can ask advice from? In very stubborn cases of egg binding, a vet can inject a combination of calcium and oxytocin to stimulate contractions. In the absence of a vet, calcium is the only thing for you to use. But calcium citrate is the form best absorbed and works quickest.

One thing more you can do right now is give her a cup of warm water with a teaspoon of sugar mixed in to elevate her glucose. This can revive her and hopefully give her strength to push the egg out.

I'm sorry. :hugs Losing a chicken never gets easier. She was suffering and ready to go. Sometimes I will put a memorial plant by the coop in memory of the well loved girl in my life.

Back
Top Bottom