pullet egg size

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Vanessabuffsnsilkies, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Vanessabuffsnsilkies

Vanessabuffsnsilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    NE Ohio
    My ee started laying last tues and has only missed one day since. The eggs are a little bigger than a silkie egg. Today when I was out there cleaning she went in the nest box and stayed in there. I left and a couple hours later my son went out and brought in a blue egg that's almost twice the size of the other ones. Is it possible that it only took a few days for them to reach that size? Or could it be the other ee laid it?

2. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    It could be a double-yolker. Sometimes pullets lay eggs with two (sometimes 3) yolks; it is normal. They're egging systems are just getting started and sometimes there are glitches! [​IMG]

3. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I saw quite a few double yokers the first couple of months, including some from EE's. I had not seen any for a few weeks but found a huge one today from my White Leghorn. It weighs 86 grams! It is huge. We will open it sometime in the next couple of days.

This pullet is by the far the smallest in our flock but she is the most consistent layer. I will be adding a couple of more White Leghorns to my flock this spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by