Pullet egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Klwright1122, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Klwright1122

Klwright1122 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2011
    Lillian, AL
    So....we found what appears to be a pullet egg in the hen house...u know, real small like a bantam egg...my chickens are all standard sizes. My youngest chickens are 10 months old--and my oldest are one year 9months. What would cause that small egg now. I routinely collect 24 or more eggs a day and have 27 hens (I think)...
    Someone once told me that when u get an egg like that it is either a chickens first or last egg. Is that true...?? Could it mean that one of my --not even two year old hens--is getting ready to stop laying?? I'm pretty sure my all my babies (10 months old) have all been laying.
    The breeds of the young ones are leghorns, BO, black stars, Delawares, and new hampshires..

2. classicsredone

classicsredone Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Sacramento County, CA
    It could have been a "fart" egg. They come out with no yolk, and the shell is smaller. That's usually just a temporary glitch in their reproductive system.

3. Delta2 23

Delta2 23 Flock Master

Sep 4, 2008
    I get small eggs all the time, I think it's just a random thing, like what classicsredone mentioned.

Feathers especially, she WAS an extremely fat chicken, so used to come out with tiny little excuses for eggs once in a while [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by