Pullet Egglaying

jlpierce45

Songster
Jan 28, 2019
SE Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hello! I have 24 pullets that are reaching pol. Almost all of them have started squatting, developed a red face, and have been checking out the nesting boxes. I also have three that are already laying pretty normally for the past two weeks. My concern is that this morning I found three soft shelled eggs on the roost in the same spot, so I’m assuming they were laid by the same chicken. I have read that it could be normal for new layers that haven’t figured it out yet, but is the fact that three were laid any different? I have a mixed gender and age flock so I am feeding them flock raiser with access to oyster shells at all times.
Thanks!

I have read that it could be normal for new layers that haven’t figured it out yet, but is the fact that three were laid any different?
Ehhh...if in fact all 3 were from the same bird, that's a bit odd, 2 maybe but 3.
I wouldn't worry unless it continues to happen.

I have a mixed gender and age flock so I am feeding them flock raiser with access to oyster shells at all times.
Are they eating the OS?
Is it in a separate feeder.
If not, might try sprinkling some about the ground in the run and/or sprinkling a few pieces on top of the feed....sometimes they don't 'get it'.

Ehhh...if in fact all 3 were from the same bird, that's a bit odd, 2 maybe but 3.
I wouldn't worry unless it continues to happen.

Are they eating the OS?
Is it in a separate feeder.
If not, might try sprinkling some about the ground in the run and/or sprinkling a few pieces on top of the feed....sometimes they don't 'get it'.
I have no proof that all three were laid by same bird so maybe it wasn’t. Yes the OS is in a separate feeder and I have seen them picking at it so they definitely know where it is. I will try sprinkling it to see if that works. I had another soft shell on the tray this morning, but only one. My youngest pullets are 17 weeks and I also have 2 cockerels. Will flock raiser be sufficient or should I switch to layer feed? I am just worried that I have some breeds that will not lay for a while (buff orps, silkies, Wyandotte’s).

Back
Top Bottom