Pullet feather problems - can I help?

babybop11

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2023
I have two month old pullets, all have been fully feathered for several weeks. All except for this one. We just got through treating a nasty scab on her back from her picking at herself (hence the purple stain, thanks Blu-Kote). Now her feathers are finally coming in there, but they look… painful?? Is there anything I can do to help? She has almost no tail feathers still as well.
6F207BA6-524F-44CF-B025-DBB5A838D14C.jpeg

Attachments

• 68A7DE14-65F0-4A5F-A4C4-E42E74FD6425.jpeg
    68A7DE14-65F0-4A5F-A4C4-E42E74FD6425.jpeg
    435.2 KB · Views: 3
  • CA444958-3376-4C98-B895-CD3CAE4CCBDD.jpeg
    CA444958-3376-4C98-B895-CD3CAE4CCBDD.jpeg
    507.2 KB · Views: 4
Chickens typically don't hurt themselves to that point unless something is wrong. I would question if others were doing this to her. With pinfeathers, you want to avoid touching them as much as possible. If others are pecking at them, I would separate her in a crate that's in with the others (so she can still see them). As the previous poster said, get her on added protein if she's not on grower feed.

Chickens typically don't hurt themselves to that point unless something is wrong. I would question if others were doing this to her. With pinfeathers, you want to avoid touching them as much as possible. If others are pecking at them, I would separate her in a crate that's in with the others (so she can still see them). As the previous poster said, get her on added protein if she's not on grower feed.
She’s on medicated starter/grower that is 18% protein… anything else I can do?

She’s on medicated starter/grower that is 18% protein… anything else I can do?
I think different brands have different amounts of protein in their grain. Giving her scrambled eggs and/or plain hamburg is another way to give her more protein for feather growth.

I think different brands have different amounts of protein in their grain. Giving her scrambled eggs and/or plain hamburg is another way to give her more protein for feather growth.
Okay thanks I’ll get her some scrambled eggs. I also have mealworms would that be okay for her??

Okay thanks I’ll get her some scrambled eggs. I also have mealworms would that be okay for her??
Mealworms are fine for her to eat. I would offer them in moderation though.

Back
Top Bottom