Pullet getting attacked by other pullets.

mowin

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 17, 2018
Upstate NY
My one RIR is being attacked the second she leaves the coop. A BR and a BO are relentless. There all the same age, and she's still laying. However I have to feed her in the coop and make sure the others stay away. This only happens first thing in the morning. Later in the morning and during the day, she's allowed into the run.

This just started happening a couple days ago, and I did notice a cut on her comb, but it's healing nicely and barely noticeable.
She appears healthy, and at night she's allowed to roost with the others.

Any reason there doing this?

Really sorry to hear about this. It's tough when the pecking order gets extreme.
Perhaps you can share how old your hens are, and how large the coop and run are. Post pictures if you can.

8 pullets. 7 months old. 6x8 walk in coop, 8x12 run.
IMG_20190320_182348304_HDR.jpg

Really sorry to hear about this. It's tough when the pecking order gets extreme.
Perhaps you can share how old your hens are, and how large the coop and run are. Post pictures if you can.

She's in a nest box, and been in there for a few hrs. Think she's too afraid to leave it. This is the
IMG_20190901_095905827.jpg
cut on her comb.

Going to be a little bit tight, but add some hiding spots in the run - lean pallets against walls, bring in things like small patio furniture, pots, crates, etc. Your run is too open a space, not giving her any options to get away from the others.

I did add some stuff to the run today. Unfortunately, she stays in the coop unless I have some treats, but the BR hunts her down.

My one RIR is being attacked the second she leaves the coop. A BR and a BO are relentless. There all the same age, and she's still laying. However I have to feed her in the coop and make sure the others stay away. This only happens first thing in the morning. Later in the morning and during the day, she's allowed into the run.

This just started happening a couple days ago, and I did notice a cut on her comb, but it's healing nicely and barely noticeable.
She appears healthy, and at night she's allowed to roost with the others.

Any reason there doing this?
With that tight of an area, you could pull the existing "boss" out and put her in a separate cage for two to three days. Then put her back in, breaks up the pecking order.

That's a nice setup. I will say I did have a pullet that was nearly mauled to death buy her flock mates. Sometimes aggressive hens just will not let it go. Ironically, they were all culled by a weasel and she is still flock leader 6 years later.

A rooster might be an option, my hens couldn't get pecking order straightened out after egg thief killed my alpha hen that was due to hatch in 3 days time from a borrowed rooster, so had to get a rooster that was a keeper, since getting him as he's a really good people friendly one someone was needing to re-home he set em right in order and kept the hens from doing this

Back
Top Bottom