pullet got squished and chipped nail

chickc

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2021
I got home late and checked my flocks, we’re trying to combine my older flock with my young flock, 8-11 weeks old. We have a dog crate in their cage to provide shelter in case the older chickens are picking on the young ones. There’s a slim space between the wall of the coop and the dog crate, around 2 inches wide. I didn’t see it happen, but I’m assuming the pullet was standing on top of the crate and fell in between the wall and the crate.

When I found her (no clue how long she was like that) she was lying on her back with her feet holding onto the bars of the crate. I thought she was dead for a second but she was breathing, so I pushed the crates, but they were stuck in between the other wall, so I lifted them up rather aggressively, and she was screaming so I’m not sure whether I caused more damage by doing that.

When I looked her over, there was nothing visibly wrong besides her toenail partially chipped, however I’m concerned that she may have internal damage after being in that narrow space, and as I’ve mentioned before, I’m not sure how long she was there. She’s acting perfectly fine.

I’ve removed the chipped piece already and it seems ok except for a bit of blood.

I got home late and checked my flocks, we’re trying to combine my older flock with my young flock, 8-11 weeks old. We have a dog crate in their cage to provide shelter in case the older chickens are picking on the young ones. There’s a slim space between the wall of the coop and the dog crate, around 2 inches wide. I didn’t see it happen, but I’m assuming the pullet was standing on top of the crate and fell in between the wall and the crate.

When I found her (no clue how long she was like that) she was lying on her back with her feet holding onto the bars of the crate. I thought she was dead for a second but she was breathing, so I pushed the crates, but they were stuck in between the other wall, so I lifted them up rather aggressively, and she was screaming so I’m not sure whether I caused more damage by doing that.

When I looked her over, there was nothing visibly wrong besides her toenail partially chipped, however I’m concerned that she may have internal damage after being in that narrow space, and as I’ve mentioned before, I’m not sure how long she was there. She’s acting perfectly fine.

I’ve removed the chipped piece already and it seems ok except for a bit of blood.

Just trim it slightly with a nail clipper apply vaseline Nd she's fine

Back
Top Bottom