Pullet groaning and sneezing!?

Godiva

Crowing
16 Years
May 17, 2007
Colorado
I have a BO that is about 8 months old. She is on layer crumbles, kelp, DE and they all freerange for a little while everyday while I am watching for hawks. Today I noticed that someone was making a groaning noise while they freeranged, but since it is so similar to the sound the roos make sometimes when they are uptight I took no real notice. However, DH just came back from checking on the chickens and says it is one of the BO pullets and she is groaning and sneezing
sad.png
Do you think this could be something mechanical eg something stuck in nose/ throat (I have no clue what the anatomy is so don't know if that is possible). There have been no signs of illness although a couple of weeks ago I had to put a new roo down for some respiratory thing. But he was quarantined from the time we got home and I was very careful not to spread things though and there have been no signs of illness otherwise. These birds are on pineshavings.

Went down to the coop with DH and was real hopeful when we walked into the coop as it was quiet. But when we walked up closer to her she started wheezing, a little more stress and she started groaning with each breath and then started sneezing, real congested sounding...
sad.png
so DH has taken her to cull as I speak. I can't believe it - this has been a horrid year after our first year with chickens being relatively ok (except for a dog attack that got a bunch of our chickens) Just pray with me that this has not spread because they are almost all in the coop where it is very easy to spread the infection through the air and contact. I didn't notice any foul odours about her (I did sniff around her nostrils in case) but I doubt that this was something mechanical, she sounded really sick.

I'm so sorry you're having problems with respiratory illness. I just now saw your post so it's probably too late but, if you cull anymore due to illness, take that one to be necropsied to find out what you are dealing with. I've found guessing to be very frustrating. OR you could take the next ill one to the vet's and see if they can help you. Best of luck. I know this is not fun at all.
sad.png

Where do you take a bird for necropsy? And how much does it cost? If I have anymore come down with something I may just do that rather than playing the guessing game... Thanks for the reply, I hate having to cull - seems such a waste of a life. But rather that than the whole flock going down with something.

you can contact your local vet or extension office for where the bird can be tested.

always separate any sick birds at first signs of symptoms.
keep bird warm give extra protein and vitamins.

might be a good idea to have some Tylan 50 injectable and syringes on hand.
it treats respiratory illness very well..

might be a good idea to check the bedding for any signs of mold or mildew.
or areas where they forage for piles of leaves that might have molds..

Back
Top Bottom