1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet Grumpy While Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Buff Hooligans, Dec 14, 2007.

1. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    This is one of my girls who shows broody crankiness when she's laying. She puffs up and rachets out warning language when I put my hand near. She won't budge off the nest for a while after she's laid the egg.

She's not officially broody, because she does leave the nestbox within an hour or two.

But do some hens get temporary broodiness just from laying? My other girls don't mind at all if I clean the coop, etc. while they're in the nestbox.

[​IMG]

2. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Id get pretty cranky pushing an egg out. Ask my husband how cranky I was when I was, well you know, with the kids! I laid there for 2 hours or so after too! [​IMG]

Seriously though, shes a buff, so maybe she is just displaying some broody tendancies without actually being broody.

3. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    Wow! That is a gorgeous picture - she's pretty even when she's crabby
    Love her color! [​IMG]

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Most of my hens, even the leghorns, like to mull over their creation and sit on it for an hour or two after the deposit.

5. mom23chicklets

mom23chicklets Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2007
    CT
    My buff orp does the same thing. None of the other hens do, just her. She sits and fusses, and doesn't want me to disturb her.

6. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    my buff orp does the same thing as well. but only one the other buff doesnt mind, but she already went broody.

7. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    My Australorp is like that. i swear she sits in the nest box all morning. She has also gone broody three times and quit at 15 days each time. [​IMG]

8. IHeartChickens

IHeartChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Pacific NW
    Wow! Her face just says it all. "Stay Away!!"

I think I've given that look to DH before when I've been um ...shall we say hormonal? [​IMG]

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Thanks for your responses. I guess it's not fair to keep calling her Miss Grumpy Pants anymore...

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have one Buff Orp who practically lives in the nest in the morning. She's sweet and will actually raise up for me to feel under her, if she isn't broody, but she'll stay for two hours and even move to a nest with someone else's warm egg in it. We call her favorite nest "Sunny's Apt". My other Buff Orp, who has never been broody in her life, will scream and "ratchet" and whatever if you even look at her while she's on the nest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by