1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pullet has clear stuff coming out of mouth

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peaches, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Peaches

Peaches Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Stanwood, Wa.
    I haven't noticed her "huddling" - not a huge crop tonight, I tossed her in a crate for the night in case - what else should I look for ? she was born in March. Lots of the chickens are laying around because we have REALLY hot weather (for Wash).

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

She could have drunk too much water because she was too hot...
    Laying around, full crop, change in ploop, huddling...would be things to look for.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I agree, when my chickens get too hot they over drink and thus it spills out of their mouths when they finally go up to roost or put their heads down. Hope that is the issue.

4. Peaches

Peaches Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2007
    Stanwood, Wa.
    Oh gosh - thanks for that - I'll keep her in pen today and watch, but that was exactly the situation. We took her off high roost to powder her butt with poultry dust and that is when I noticed!

5. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

I have noticed mine doing the very same thing. My dogs have done it as well....with this heat...so I just figured that it was the same...overdrinking.

6. farmgirl2477

farmgirl2477 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2007
    Oviedo, FL
    If it happened when you picked her up, you may have pushed on her crop a bit causing the extra fluids to come out. I did that a few days ago, freaked me out until I realized what I had done hehe.

Shannon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by