Pullet has yellow mucous out of nose, diagnosis??

@~rosecityfarmgirl~@

Chirping
9 Years
Jul 17, 2010
Windsor
Help! I have a 5 month old Polish with yellow mucous gummed up on her beak. Her feathers are getting stuck in it, and she honk/hiccups every once in a while. I was able to loosen and remove the yellow stuff in a warm bath, but it's come back. Her actual nasal holes are clear and she can breathe.
The temp outside is about 70, she's in a coop with sawdust bedding and has 2 mates, a pair of 1 yr old White Leghorns. She's eating Purina Grower laced w 3 Tbsp cayenne pepper and 2 Tbsp powdered eggshell per gallon of feed. For treats, she gets scratch, zucchini, carrot shavings, cherry tomatoes, grapes, etc. She's had these symptoms for about a week, and I've been treating the whole flock with a water solution of piperazine (1/2 tsp per 2L) for gape worm. She doesn't have the classic gummy-saliva symptom that the WL has. Her behaviour otherwise is about the same, she eats well, forages actively, and naps in the sunshine. The other birds have no mucous secretion.

What can I do? Is this serious? Is there a home remedy? We have no local feed stores, and the ones that are driving distance rarely carry poultry meds.
Also, there's no WAY I can cull this bird... she's literally my lap pet!

Separate her from everyone. She is contagious. No way to know if it's CRD/mycoplasmosis or what, but none of the alternatives are good and will leave her a carrier of the disease. I have a "no-treatment" policy when it comes to respiratory disease because I don't want to be treating sick birds all the time and I sell eggs and chicks and can't in good conscience do that if I have known carriers. Sorry you're dealing with this. Some say use antibiotics, but as you know, they do nothing for viruses, and won't change the carrier status of the bird anyway.

Thanks, speckledhen! it's weird, it just kinda came along... She hasn't been exposed to any other sick birds. Do chickens get 'colds' that pass just like us? I thought about giving her chicken soup lol, since that's what we get when WE'RE sick
tongue.png

Even if they don't look sick, they might still be a carrier. Did you get your chickens from a hatchery or hatch them yourself? If you didn't, she might have gotten it from them.

Quote:
She came from a hobby farm, a large one, on the outskirts of the city. They have several breeds of chickens, horses, goats, pigs, peacocks, you name it. We've had her for about 2 months now.

Back
Top Bottom