Pullet having breathing issues

Roger98

Songster
Mar 16, 2018
This pullet has had a few issues for last month. First i thought i witness her having siezures, then more recently i noticed she sometimes has very labored breathing like she's opening her mouth very wide and sticking her tongue out. She eats and drinks with the others, her appetite hasn't gone away at all. But now she also has a limp, i don't know what is wrong with her, it seems like everything that can go wrong is going wrong all at once with this chicken. Please help

I will look for it tomorrow, and others may chime in as well. What did she do when you noticed the seizure activity or neurological symptoms she having before? Does she drag the leg, hold it up, or put weight on it?

I will look for it tomorrow, and others may chime in as well. What did she do when you noticed the seizure activity or neurological symptoms she having before? Does she drag the leg, hold it up, or put weight on it?

Before the seizures she never shown any symptoms. It was like she'd thrash around uncontrollably before calming down and getting back up and going about her business. It only happened twice of what I've seen. She doesn't drag the leg, she holds it up. She tries to put pressure on it and was able to get up onto the roost to sleep.

That sounds more like a sprain. How is the weather where you live—hot or cold, rainy, dry? Is there much dust or any mold in the coop? Respiratory diseases or infections can cause gasping, nasal drainage, bubbly eye, sometimes sneezing or cough, and swelling of the eyes or face.

That sounds more like a sprain. How is the weather where you live—hot or cold, rainy, dry? Is there much dust or any mold in the coop? Respiratory diseases or infections can cause gasping, nasal drainage, bubbly eye, sometimes sneezing or cough, and swelling of the eyes or face.

Its been raining and the temperature has been dropping. Its dry in the coops, clean no mold. I was thinking respiratory but she doesn't have a runny nose, sneezing or any swelling

Its been raining and the temperature has been dropping. Its dry in the coops, clean no mold. I was thinking respiratory but she doesn't have a runny nose, sneezing or any swelling

So an update, i noticed her sneezing this morning. I also noticed her still trying to use the leg but holding it up. She doesn't look sickly yet, she's still trying to part of the group and her appetite is still strong. I'm thinking i should get some kind of med to treat this if it is a respiratory infection.

I would hold off on antibiotics since they won’t help if it is a virus or mold problem. If you notice eye bubbles or swelling, or thick nasal drainage, then is the time to start an antibiotic, such as Tylan50 injectable (given orally.) You can find it online or at feed stores in the cattle section.

I have never used Vet Rx, which is similar to Vicks, nut some use it to help with respiratory symptoms. It is an herbal remedy containing camphor, oils of pine, rosemary, oregano, so you can try it, but none of those ingredients can treat an infection.
upload_2018-10-29_11-17-31.jpeg

I would hold off on antibiotics since they won’t help if it is a virus or mold problem. If you notice eye bubbles or swelling, or thick nasal drainage, then is the time to start an antibiotic, such as Tylan50 injectable (given orally.) You can find it online or at feed stores in the cattle section.

I have never used Vet Rx, which is similar to Vicks, nut some use it to help with respiratory symptoms. It is an herbal remedy containing camphor, oils of pine, rosemary, oregano, so you can try it, but none of those ingredients can treat an infection.
View attachment 1574568

An update, I'm very scared that what she has is indeed mareks. the leg she was holding up is now out in front of her and she definitely can't move it anymore. She isn't dragging either of her wings. And she still has an appetite and she still takes very deep breaths. I was planning on moving birds from her flock to my larger flock but now I'm scared too in case mareks is what she has

Back
Top Bottom