Pullet having repeated egg binding...and I think she's dripping...

salsss

Songster
5 Years
Mar 26, 2016
Adirondacks, NY
I've had problems with a few Red Sex Link chickens coming into lay early...at 14.5 weeks. Two became egg bound...one of those has resumed normal egg laying. But one...yesterday I gave her a soaking and calcium and she passed two soft eggs. This is the second time (two eggs!) it's happened with her..other times she has laid a thinnish shelled egg that is speckled and a bit lighter in color.

Plus I see from where she's perched at night...a kind of wet spot on the poop board in the sweet PDZ. Her butt is a mess....I thought it was because of being egg bound but...should I give her anything else? I give them all yogurt each day. (2 tbsp. shared by 4 hens). They are now 18 weeks old.

She acts normally when she is not egg bound...
Please help?

I'm not going to be of much help here, but maybe this will bump you up and someone with more experience will see it.

Apple cider vinegar has natural antibiotic properties so you might try mixing some of that in her water to help ward off any infection since you said her butt is a mess. I'd say keep making sure she gets plenty of calcium and check her bottom regularly and try to get it cleaned up and taken care of. Goodluck!

Thanks so much! She was sulking under the coop again with her butt in the air....I couldn't get her out. It's storming now and I'll check afterwards.....

I don't know what else to do. Maybe a trip to the vet? Or maybe her reproductive system is beyond hope?

Personally I never give up on them because its just not in my nature to cull. She's only laid a few eggs so I wouldnt give up yet, but I have heard of hens just not being able to lay properly. If you can afford a vet its never a bad idea, or maybe just call and tell them whats going on and see what they say.

My vet does not like chickens...she will treat but will lean towards culling...so I have been avoiding it.
She seemed okay this morning. I couldn't see an egg anywhere...maybe they ate it.

I've been giving calcium/D3 pills crushed up in their morning treat...hope that helps!

My vet is the same way, he has provided me with supplies like syringes and gives advice but doesn't want to see them. Hopefully she was able to lay and egg on her own and they just ate it- which is likely if it was soft shelled.

Some of my girls are in and out of the nest in flash and others (particularly early in their laying life or the bantams) spend what seems like forever in there trying to lay and turning and trying to lay and turning some more.

I'll cross my fingers that she just needs some time to get her egg laying game together.

I actually took her to my vet today...my vet thinks I'm crazy for having chickens...but despite her attitude she was encouraging. She examined her and said the dripping was from straining all the time. She said she felt an egg way up in the oviduct but it wasn't developed and should come down more...

edit: I gave her a bath and a dose of calcium this afternoon...getting nothing! :(

Marianne laid an egg in the cat carrier on the trip home. (right down the street!)
Then, I put her in the run and I turned around to see another egg in there, right under her!
Both eggs were soft shelled, and full size.

My vet recommends letting her try to lay eggs normally for a few weeks...I'm willing if she might come out of this. But I hate to see her so uncomfortable so much of the time!

Keeping the fingers crossed.....

Last edited:
Well I'm glad to hear the dripping was nothing too serious! I agree with the vet and think she probably just needs time. I know it's hard to watch them struggle but this is what their bodies are meant to do. Believe in her that she can do it on her own, I'm rooting for her!

I got 3 eggs today from my 3 layers....so I guess Marianne finally laid her first normal egg! It wasn't perfect (shell had a bulge) but she's good for today!!! So happy!

Back
Top Bottom