Pullet having trouble pooping

Chickstarrs

Songster
May 6, 2020
Ontario, Canada
My girls free range but I always have oyster shell free choice even my folks eons ago fed shells back but we had 200 birds back then
I do give them either oyster shell or egg shells free choice. :) I know they don't get that from free ranging.

200, that's a lot of birds!

Chickstarrs

Songster
May 6, 2020
Ontario, Canada
I tried to check my pullet today for a stuck egg. I tried to be as gentle as I could. My fingers are not very big, but I was only able to get maybe 1/2" in and was stopped by another small opening. It was far too small to get my finger through and I did not want to hurt her. I tried twice. The second time there was blood on my finger. I hope I did not hurt her. What does this mean? The mess on her feathers is poop and does not smell very good.
20201029_152601.jpg 20201029_152827.jpg

Chickstarrs

Songster
May 6, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Is she pooping?
I would offer her wet feed and make sure she's drinking.
Did you try giving her a bit of oil mixed in her feed?
She poops out very small bits. I will give them some wet feed now. Would the oil be a problem for the other birds? I would rather not separate her as she and her sisters are pretty close. She acts very normal, except for the pooping trouble.

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Here is a diagram of the hen’s cloaca where the oviduct meets with the large intestine:
http://www.geauga4h.org/poultry/repro_tract_hen_labeled.jpg
That might be the second small opening that you felt. It could be possible that her oviduct is blocked with an egg or possibly a piece of lash egg material. You could get a whole dose of oil into her if you mixed it in some scrambled egg. Yes, wet feed is fine for everyone.

Chickstarrs

Songster
May 6, 2020
Ontario, Canada
Here is a diagram of the hen’s cloaca where the oviduct meets with the large intestine:
http://www.geauga4h.org/poultry/repro_tract_hen_labeled.jpg
That might be the second small opening that you felt. It could be possible that her oviduct is blocked with an egg or possibly a piece of lash egg material. You could get a whole dose of oil into her if you mixed it in some scrambled egg. Yes, wet feed is fine for everyone.
Yes, I have given them wet feed before and they loved it. I was wondering if the oil would be a problem for the other birds?

Top Bottom