Pullet is the spawn of Satan!!!

I had one cornish hen who was aggressive like that, dragging one of my sweeter hens around and pulling feathers off of the roos rear. I put a bit on her for a couple weeks.

When I took it off, she had a much better attitude. I haven't had any feather picking problems or aggression issues.

Hey, that's what I call my mom's Siamese kittens
lol.png

I've been having similar issues with my two one-year old australorp hens and my new 1.5 month old White rock pullet. I gave her a place to escape that the australorps can't get to. I made sure she had food and water.

when I first introduced them together,

I would put the baby in the coop first at night and let her sleep there with the australorps which didnt bother them too much except once, and then I just put the baby in the brooder that night.

During the day while I went to work I would put the baby in the brooder at first to make sure she could eat and drink all she wanted without being disturbed, then when I got home I would take her out and put her in the run with the other chickens while I was home so I could supervise her. I would listen and watch occassionally to make sure that

1. she had a place she could seek refuge where the chickens couldnt hurt/reach her
2.was actually going to the ground sometimes and
3. the chickens weren't REALLY hurting her. (trying to kill her by kicking her, etc)
4. she was eating and her crop was full
5. she had 2 different places to have food/water where the other chickens couldnt bother her
6. check for bleeding/bald spots. that woudl indicate that its too violent. back in the brooder if thats the case and start over

Sure they'd chase her a bit and take a tailfeather or two (or 5
smile.png
), most of her noise ended up her just having a commotion running past the 2 chickens. I dont think the australorps were really trying to seek her out 100% of the time to try to hurt her but it SURE SOUNDED LIKE IT SOMETIMES.

Yes I felt bad, yes feathers were lost, yes it sounded like she was dying and that she was being picked on, especially when they got a hold of her. thats why i have let her keep her flight feathers
smile.png
the chickens can't get to the top of the composter where the baby hides out. I put food and water there on the composter for her. I think having 2 places for food/water is important and making sure the chick can get to at least one of these areas is important.

All in all, this is the second day I have left her there all by her self day and night. the only thing I do now is make sure she gets in the coop first. I think that shes lost less than 30 feathers all together and has become VERY friendly towards me. I also make sure she can eat food without issue and her crop is full when I pick her up and that she looks fine. The white rock will be BIGGER than the australorps one day and revenge will be SWEET
tongue.png

Hope the information helps! this is my first time integrating different chickens.

If there is something I'm doing wrong or you'd like to comment on please let me know, after all, I'm learning too!

Quote:
I'm setting up a solitary pen for her now. Its my last effort, and if she has to live as a single bird, then so be it.

I think if she's kept alone for 3-4 days she will be so grateful to have company that she will be nicer.
Plus, the abused hen will have time to heal and learn some confidence!

Good luck!!!!

I agree, make sure she can see the other chooks having fun, maybe that will get her to want to play nicely so that she may join the flock. Maybe I am giving them too much credit but I think the do understand a little.

It looks like they are getting along better today. The lower pullet is actually down and walking around the pen with the other two, and they are eating together, so maybe they've resolved their issues. Good thing too because she was about to be sentenced to 'solitary confinement.'

Back
Top Bottom