Pullet jumping at the wall

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amandastark, Sep 2, 2014.

1. amandastark

amandastark New Egg

Feb 27, 2014
    My Silver laced Polish keeps jumping at the coop wall. She won't come out of the coop, only go down to the run about 30 seconds. New to having backyard chickens and this seems like strange behavior. I looked and there isn't anything shiny on the wall that she would want.

Is it normal or has she gone off the deep end.

[​IMG]

2. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Hmmm, weird! There must be something that has caught her attention, and I suspect it is like my cat - one day he spent hours watching 'nothing' on our roof, and it turned out to be a 2mm piece of cobweb! Apparently it was FACINATING!

You could try and distract her - take her to another spot in the coop and give her a super-doper treat. Or pop her outside to free-range for a bit. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about though.

Chickens are crazy little crackers [​IMG]. I give up trying to understand them, ha ha!

- Krista

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I think she sees something on the wafer board that looks like a bug to her. If nothing else, it's keeping her entertained.

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Chickens have phenomenal eyesight. They're programmed to zero in on the tiniest movements.

Mine are often captivated by dust motes floating in early morning sun beams. They will stand there snapping their beaks at what appears to be vacant air. But when I move around and look at things from a different angle, I also am able to see the floating dust particles.

If you were to take a flashlight and try shining it from various angles on whatever your hen appears to be snapping at, you may be able to solve the mystery and identify what it is she's seeing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by