Pullet just squats and lays wherever she is

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RedReiner, Apr 5, 2011.

1. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    and I cant catch which one it is!!! I have one that seems to be laying wherever she happens to be standing at the time. I find eggs, under the tree, in the run. floor of the coop...everywhere except in the nest box. they are not nice looking eggs either, they have a whitish powdery look to the outside of them. these are Orp girls and eggs are usually a pinkish tan. whoever is just dropping them lays rough with white powdery cast to them. they have oyster shell, game bird mixed with layer crumbles, scratch in the morning, Boss and meal worms as a weekly treat. they also get scraps out of my kitchen. meat, veggies, fruit and bread as a treat. so what would make the shell look like that? and is there hope for a dumb hen to learn how to use a nest box? there are 5 girls and two nest boxes... they are extra large boxes too, because these are english orps and huge...my neighbor calls them turkey chickens lol.

2. RedReiner

RedReiner Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Monroe, Wa
    really? nobody?

3. whiteflare

whiteflare Out of the blue

Mar 13, 2011
    Sydney
    I've heard people leave eggs in the nest box to encourage hens to lay in them. But I'm not sure what could be wrong about the appearance of the eggs... [​IMG]

4. Badbaby05

Badbaby05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Mine have done this previously but they were younger. Now I will NOT let them out of the coup til they are done laying cuz it's outside, under a bush, in the run. They also have the same whiteish powder to them. Not totally sure why they do it but they do.

Someone else may have a better answer. [​IMG]

5. loot4louie

loot4louie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Ringoes NJ
    I can't help but I have a part english blue orp who often lays off the perch. Her eggs can be soft shelled if I let the oyster shell run out. When they are hard, they are bumpy/rough and whitish. They never get a nice hard smooth shell. She does make the nest box when they are hard. I wouldny know if she laid outside the run because my dogs eat any eggs they find. She is just a year old. Im interested to see what people say.

6. AccentOnHakes

AccentOnHakes Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    To try to figure out who it is:

Take a tube of lipstick. DO NOT USE IT AGAIN. A mostly used one would be nice.

Rub lipstick around the vent of a hen. Wait till you see an egg with red on it--that hen laid that egg. Rub off the lipstick, apply to another hen. Repeat. And repeat. Until you find the hen that's doing it.

REMEMBER: DON'T USE THAT LIPSTICK FOR YOURSELF AGAIN.

1 person likes this.
  7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Any hen that refuses to learn to lay in the box doesn't get roaming privileges until she does. It's that simple. No egg in box, no recess.

8. Fred's Hens

If you have 10 hens? give or take? and you're serious about solving this, then you might consider committing a morning to "charting" the hens. I take my coffee and a clipboard and head out to the coop early in the morning. Note, the boxes are empty, OK, we're good to go. One by one they head into the boxes. When they leave, I assign a description of the egg and the hen who laid it. After an hour, they've mostly all laid. I can even separate them into a divided pen, layers into one, not yet laid, into the other.

Narrows it down. Eventually, I have charted them all and know who does what and when.

Another method is lipstick butts. Different shades of lipstick on the bums of each hen. The eggs get streaked with different color at lay. A chart is then constructed. Different ways to chart your hens. Gotta do something.

9. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Good news, most of them do learn to look for the nest box, but I agree it may be a good idea to confine them to the coop until they get it straight.

10. Fred's Hens

Quote:Why not? [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by