Pullet just started to lay - one question

aank4

In the Brooder
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Hi -

We have four pullets that we've been raising from chicks, and one has begun to lay (yay)! I highly suspect that it's our Red Star hen. She has "the look" - which, as a newbie, I find hard to describe, other than seeming the most developed and well-along. She's also been the most vocal with her 'brawk brawk' sounds lately. I found two brown eggs two days ago (I hadn't checked on them for about a day and a half, so I was quite surprised to find TWO eggs there)! One was in the nest box, and the other was on the floor of the coop. It's possible that I may have missed seeing one when I had checked on them earlier. I wasn't expecting to see anything, I guess!

We also have a white leghorn (so definitely not her eggs), a barred rock (could be hers, but she just doesn't seem like she's ready yet to me), and an EE. Hoping for blue eggs from the EE. Pretty sure it's just one bird so far - the red star. I bet our leghorn starts soon, though - her comb and wattles have all of a sudden become quite large and red.

Anyway, all of yesterday and this morning there haven't been any eggs at all. I had put in some extra shavings in the coop and nest box the day before yesterday, hoping to encourage the laying and keep the eggs from breaking with a little extra padding. I've dug around a little in the nest, to be sure that I wasn't missing anything, and looked around the coop and run, too. I also put a golf ball in the nest box, hoping to encourage laying only in the box, instead of the coop.

So... are pullets kind of "stop and start" for a while after they begin to lay? Did I possibly freak my hen out with the golf ball being in there? (I can sort of picture her thinking, "Okay, this is weird, and I know it's not mine, must be aliens...") So weird to find two eggs, and now nothing for two days.

Thanks for any tips - my kids are dying to see that next egg! (I'm having to put the kibosh on checking every hour!)

Amy

How old is your red star? I have two at home. One I swear is about ready to lay but she's only 16 weeks. She's very vocal and her face/comb/wattles are nice and bright pink/red. Just curious how old yours is.
big_smile.png

Oh an Congrats on the first egg!!! Can't wait for ours!
thumbsup.gif

I don't think you would have freaked her out, she is just getting into the swing of things I guess.

just check them each morning or at lunchtime and you will soon see.

Sounds like you wil soon have a few eggs layers to check on, Congratulations and enjoy.

Hi! Congrats on your first pullet eggs! it is exciting.
I think when pullets start to lay it is a bit sporadic...nothing you can bank on. Keep the ball in the nest and have ...
big_smile.png
...patience......

you should see an increase in the next 2 weeks...

Glad to hear that the skipping is nothing unusual! I admit, I am quite excited (egg-cited.. ha ha) about my girls beginning to lay! I was calling all my relatives and friends to report it - was almost like having a birth in the family!

mrsgibber - my girls are all around 17 weeks old. I wasn't expecting to need to check quite yet - thought they wouldn't start until at least 18 weeks. Nice surprise! (Or, maybe they were a few days older than I thought when I brought them home as chicks!)

Every time we check the nest box, my kids gasp with delight - and then realize it's just the silly golf ball.
smile.png
Soon, hopefully!

Hmmm...guess I'll take the burlap off my nesting boxes then so the girls can check it out. I sure would love to find an egg in there one of these mornings!

Well, I went out about an hour after I posted, and lo and behold - there was our hen's next egg! She must have known I was talking about her, I guess!

This is great!! Love finding eggs!

One more thing- not every hen lays in the morning. My hens lay all day long. I heard egg song less than an hour ago. They each go when they want to, I guess!

Reading all of this is really teaching me alot.I have one 16 wks old that is laying but have 7 more that are the same age. I was checking threw out the day wondering if they lay only in the morning. Another thing should I leave the one egg in the nest to encourage the other hens to lay? or is that not a good ideal

Back
Top Bottom