PULLET LAID A SHELL-LESS EGG?!!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by animal-lover99, Aug 23, 2013.

1. animal-lover99

animal-lover99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2013
    Connecticut
    This morning I foun a shell-less egg in the coop. I'm suspecting it was the Pullet who was JUST egg bound two days ago, because she is the only one laying so far (but who knows?) Anyway the egg was all soft and gooey and had no shell just an odd coating of jelly brown stuff. I didnt know what on earth to do with it so I got a shovel and threw it over the fence into the woods. I'm feeding them layers feed with Calcuim and they always have oyster shells in their run/ outside where they like to hang out. They have plenty of Calcuim..... My 1st egg from the suspected chicken was just fine, hard shell, nice and smooth, and a pretty brown color.....the second one(what might be more than second as we let them free range and they like to get themselves to places I can't get to, so eggs might have been layed there) I found when I went to close the coop at 8:30. The Pullet was egg bound prier to this and finally has layed her egg..it was bloody and had this white stuff coating it in mostly the whole egg, you can scratch of the white stuff with your finger nail(I still have that egg if you to look at a pic of it) I don't get why this egg would have no shell? Can somebody tell me why, and help me correct this?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If she only just started laying she will lay some odd eggs with soft shells etc, due to the immaturity of her shell gland. But I would like to see a pic of the bloody, calcium coated egg, if you don't mind.

3. animal-lover99

animal-lover99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2013
    Connecticut
    Okay, but we washed off the blood off. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by