Pullet laying for the first time

chipjent

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2018
So, I am new to chickens and one of my Rhode Island Reds laid a small egg last Thursday and then a larger one on Saturday and nothing else since 4 days later. Is this normal? They are about 18 weeks old.

My RIR was first to lay at 20 weeks old and her egg was 1.35 oz. I’m not sure why but I weigh the eggs just to see how they are doing. I’m new to this too but she has consistently laid an egg everyday around the same time. Do they have access to fresh water and feed? I know it sounds silly but it seems they have to be happy and have all the basics... also light i hear. Good luck... nature should take over if all is normal.

They have several waterers are on organic layer mash, free range and spoiled rotten! It has been very hot here in PA so, not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Last edited:
They have several waterers are on organic layer mash, free range and spoiled rotten! It has been very hot here in PA so, not sure if that has anything to do with it. t
Sweet, I’ve never tried mash. My girls started on organic crumble and now are on organic grower feed with grit and oyster shells. I’ve tried sprouting but it required to much rinsing several times a day. It gets in the high 90’s here my chickens are in a 19 by 8 foot enclosure. I wonder if she’s laying. eggs out somewhere and you aren’t able to see them.

Mine were pretty inconsistent when they first started laying. It took all of mine a few weeks to lay an egg a day. I was just happy they were all hard shell eggs!!! Just my experience, I'm not sure if it's normal or not though.

I have an EE and she just started laying around a month ago and is only laying once a week or so. I'm assuming because of the heat here in Iowa, the past month has been 90-100. So I'm with you and hoping it's the heat and them being new at this!

I know right. i read so much about soft shell or no shell eggs. I didn’t get any of that. My girls haven’t missed a day yet. I’m sure they will though!

Back
Top Bottom