Pullet laying monster eggs and getting egg bound - will she grow out of it?

RoyalChick

Henpecked
Premium Feather Member
Nov 3, 2019
Northern New Jersey
My Coop
My Coop
My pullet - Eli - started laying last month. She is quite small - I need to get a new weight but certainly less than 4lb and petite in stature.
Since starting laying she has had several (it is either 2 or 3) episodes of being egg bound.
One time she took several days of trying to lay her egg and when it came there was nothing notable about it.
In the most dramatic episode she took several days and then laid two eggs right after each other. The first was a massive egg weighing in at 3 ounces and the second was normal. I assume the second was stuck behind the monster one.
Just now she laid another huge egg just over 3 ounces and although she didn't lay yesterday, I think that was just a day off, she did not act like she was egg bound, though she was in some distress getting that big egg out.
I have treated her with calcium and baths and each time afterwards I have checked that she doesn't have a prolapse.

Both of the monster eggs have been double yolkers, and I am posting a video so you can see the kind of distress that goes on for a couple of days until she gets the egg out.

My questions if anyone has experience. Do you think she will grow out of laying these huge double-yolk eggs? I am of course worried that any one of these could get stuck and result in death but am hoping maybe she settles down and lays smaller eggs eventually.
And secondly, does anyone have experience of using the deslorelin implant in this situation - the idea being if I could stop her laying for a few months maybe when she comes back in to lay things would be more normal. Of course I haven't yet found a vet to do that for me but if that seems like a good idea I will keep looking.

Many thanks for sharing experiences you have had and any guidance for me.
Warning - the video is a bit tough to watch as she is clearly in distress

Looks like she has a large bulge back there, is it hard or squishy or...?
Actually - the large bulge you see in the video is all fluff!
The egg seems to get stuck some way up and hasn't so far stopped her pooping - I try not to add to her distress with a lot of poking but the first time it happened I could feel the egg on external examination quite high up but could not feel it on internal examination.

Back
Top Bottom