Pullet lethargic/not eating or drinking after being pecked in the eye

FattySmough

Songster
May 2, 2021
South Kansas
Hey everyone. My black star pullet was pecked in the eye just yesterday, and at first it didn't seem like a huge deal. She wouldn't open the injured eye, but she was getting around with the rest of her flock mates.

Anyways, since this morning she has started to worry me. She barely walks around anywhere. She has spent almost the whole day just sitting or standing inside the coop. I also haven't seen her eat or drink on her own. If I dip her beak in the water she will drink some, but she doesn't seem to eat much even if I try to help.

She has also been doing this weird thing where she will start to close her good eye as if she is falling asleep and keep it closed for a bit, and then after awhile she may open it back up. It seems to happen pretty randomly. Most of the time she opens it if I nudge her.

I have been rinsing her eye the best I can (when I can get it open without forcing) with saline solution once or twice a day, and she is separated from the chickens that were aggressive to her in the first place. It's also been quite hot outside to the point where all my chickens are panting, so does she possibly need a cooler environment? Any suggestions are helpful. I have a pictured of the injured eye attached.

Attachments

• 20210614_163406.jpg
    20210614_163406.jpg
    399.6 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom