Pullet lethargic

pinkaliboo

In the Brooder
7 Years
I have a 14 week old Cuckoo Maran that was doing great until 3 days ago and since then she just stands or sits in the shade with her eyes closed. I put electrolytes in the water since it has been over a 100 degrees here for the last 2 weeks and have been turning on the mister in the run everyday when the temp starts getting up there. She has been eating and drinking fine and I cannot find anything wrong with her. Her poo looks normal. I isolated her today just to be safe but I don't know what else to do for her. All my other girls are doing fine. Any ideas?

I have a 16 week Lavender Amerecauna with similar issues....
She started 2-3 weeks ago...very lethargic, eyes closed all the time. Stopped eating...so I started force feeding her...I didn't think she would recover because she was so under weight. She is my pet and comes running to me when I call her and she spends hours sleeping on my lap while I brush her. I said my goodbyes every day but never gave up on her. She got her appetite back but is so week she lost the strength in her legs. She has been falling, flopping and tumbling around like a drunk. It is breaking my heart....
I think she is suffering from vitamin deficiency or mold exposure....or both.
I moved up from the mountains in North Carolina to southern Indiana about 5 weeks ago.
I just noticed there is mold in the grass where they have access to the yard.
The other 3 chickens are normal.
I don't think this heat is helping Lavender feel good.
I hope your chicken recovers.

Hello
Sorry this is a little late.

Not completely sure if it could be dehydration. Have you seen her panting? (mouth open all the time, closes it once and a while) Try putting ice in the water. We filled a big empty bottle of coke with water and froze it, then put it in their water. This seemed to help quite a bit. Then again, this was during 80/90 degree weather. We have not experienced any of our birds do as you explained above. Try putting a tray of water by her and see if she gets up and sits in it, this may cool her off and help the recovery.

The other case it could be is allergies to something. Not sure to what though.

*If the case is dehydration, do NOT bring her inside and put her infront/near the air conditioner

Good luck, not quite sure if what I mentioned above will help, hoping it will speed up the recovery.

Last edited:
In that cause the chances of it being dehydration are a little less then what they could have been. Not quite sure what it could be, I guess wait for more people to respond.

She was vaccinated...
She seems so normal other than the drunk stumble. Runs with her brother, eats just as much if not more, poo is very nice, tries to groom herself but tends to do cartwheels. She has normal energy...more so first thing in the morning and again late in the evening, when it is cooler. She is a mystery to me.

Back
Top Bottom