Pullet Limping and Toes Appear Curled

Jessi.Smith

Songster
Sep 30, 2018
Texas
I noticed my 15 week old naked neck pullet tonight limping tonight. I set up a small cage for her in the coop for tonight. When I picked her up to move her, I checked the bottom of her foot and didn't see any injuries, but it is dark and I was using a headlamp. Her head did seem to lean to the side of the leg that was giving her problems when I was carrying her- but to be honest, I could have been leaning a bit as I walked trying to watch her. She was not vaccinated for marks, but some of the chicks were. They have all been together for at least a month now. They are eating Nutrena grower/starter (non medicated). I don't know if she got stepped on by another chicken or if it is something worse.

Any help/comments/suggestions are appreciated.

I would suspect Mareks disease, but it could also be an injury or vitamin B2 (riboflavin) deficiency. I would make sure that she is close to food and water, start some poultry vitamins contain riboflavin, and continue to observe her. A chicken sling might be helpful if she becomes unable to stand or walk. Can you feel her leg for any swelling, and look for any bruising, swelling, or for any scabs on the footpad? Here is a good article of Mareks disease:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Thank you for responding! It looks like from the article that there is no cure for Mareks, is that correct?
I have her in a cage (in the coop) with her own food and water for tonight. I will get my husband to help hold her tomorrow so I can examine her leg closer for bruising and/or swelling. I didn't see any sign of injury when I checked the bottom of her foot, but the lighting was not the best, so I can't be sure there isn't anything.
I will pick up some poultry vitamins in the morning. Should I give them to the whole flock too?

Some have reported that occasionally a chicken can show improvement, then may later get sick or develop the tumors that are common. You can give the vitamins to just her or the whole flock. Ribiflavin is also included in vitamin B complex tablets for humans. You could give her 1/4-1/2 tablet crushed onto some feed or a treat (such as cooked egg) daily. The only brand of poultry vitamin that does not have riboflavin is Poultry NutriDrench..

I am a baby and take gummy vitamins :/ lol.
I will also get some eggs - since none of my chickens lay those yet I have to buy them.....
I found a small feed store near my office, are poultry vitamins pretty common, or should I go to a bigger feed store like Tractor Supply?

I picked up this stuff today at the local feed store. Hoping it is the right stuff (it is all they had).
20181130_083003.jpg

The only one they had was the B12 one. I can go to tractor supply and see if they have the other one. Any other things I should get a TSC?
I can't think of anything else. Hopefully your TSC has that, mine keeps it in stock.
Did you get a chance to look at her legs/feet really well just in case she has some type of injury (bottom of feet too)?

I agree, it does sound like Marek's which is not curable. The only thing you can try is to offer supportive care and vitamin therapy.

Back
Top Bottom