Pullet not acting right

Justjess0820

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2021
I have an 8 month old pullet that is not acting her usual self. She is laying down more than usual and seems weak and a bit wobbly when walking around. She’s usually the first out of the coop but this morning she didn’t come out until I called for her. She has not laid an egg yet. I feel nothing unusual near her abdomen or vent. I looked her over for lice/mites and saw nothing. Her crop was flat/empty mid day. Only other unusual thing I noticed was the head shaking in the videos. Anyone have any ideas what might be going on with her??
I attached videos of her below.

Hmmmm, I'm not sure but did you check her feet for bumblefoot? If she's sick you'll want to separate her from the other chickens so they don't get sick.

I didn't see anything obvious that stands out, nothing made her really look ill. How do her droppings look?
Check her crop tonight when she goes to roost to see if she's eaten, they usually have something in their crops when they go to bed. Then check again first thing in the morning before she's had access to food or water to make sure it's empty then. When I have a bird that looks wobbly I give a super B complex tablet or capsule once a day (human ones) to make sure it's not a deficiency in those, which is not uncommon. The B's are very safe to give. Where is she in the pecking order? Might want to do some observing for periods to see if she's being kept from feed or if she's low in the pecking order.

I didn't see anything obvious that stands out, nothing made her really look ill. How do her droppings look?
Check her crop tonight when she goes to roost to see if she's eaten, they usually have something in their crops when they go to bed. Then check again first thing in the morning before she's had access to food or water to make sure it's empty then. When I have a bird that looks wobbly I give a super B complex tablet or capsule once a day (human ones) to make sure it's not a deficiency in those, which is not uncommon. The B's are very safe to give. Where is she in the pecking order? Might want to do some observing for periods to see if she's being kept from feed or if she's low in the pecking order.
I will be checking her crop again tonight and in the morning. I don’t see anything wrong outwardly. I have brought her inside to monitor her input and output and I am offering rooster booster. She has always been at the top of the pecking order so I don’t believe anyone is bullying her off feed or water. I will definitely try the B vitamins! I am just completely stumped on what she needs help with 😔

I have an 8 month old pullet that is not acting her usual self. She is laying down more than usual and seems weak and a bit wobbly when walking around. She’s usually the first out of the coop but this morning she didn’t come out until I called for her. She has not laid an egg yet. I feel nothing unusual near her abdomen or vent. I looked her over for lice/mites and saw nothing. Her crop was flat/empty mid day. Only other unusual thing I noticed was the head shaking in the videos. Anyone have any ideas what might be going on with her??
I attached videos of her below.

Check her ears and make sure they are clear. She could have an infection. Though I’ve seen the head shaking multiple times with coccidiosis as well. What does her poop look like?

After monitoring her I believe I am dealing with a respiratory issue. I hear wheezing with some breaths and she has nasal drainage. We do not have a vet in my area so what would be my best coarse of action?

Back
Top Bottom