Pullet not developing

milola

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 7, 2013
Sorry I only come on here to ask questions but this is my first experience with chickens so I know nothing but what I read on here. So I have this one RSL that I got along with all the other chickens I have so she is the same age. (20 Weeks). She is the same size and her legs have finally turned a deep yellow/orange but her comb and wattles are pretty much the same size they have been for the last 2 months. Pale pink and small. The others are all nice and big and getting very red. As a matter of fact I am surprised that they have yet to lay an egg. Has anyone else had this happen? Will she eventually catch up with the rest or is she lacking something? Has anyone ever had a hen that didn't lay?

Some pullets just develop more slowly than others - just like all animals. If she is apparently healthy in all other aspects, she will lay. Patience!

Last edited:
Sorry I only come on here to ask questions but this is my first experience with chickens so I know nothing but what I read on here. So I have this one RSL that I got along with all the other chickens I have so she is the same age. (20 Weeks). She is the same size and her legs have finally turned a deep yellow/orange but her comb and wattles are pretty much the same size they have been for the last 2 months. Pale pink and small. The others are all nice and big and getting very red. As a matter of fact I am surprised that they have yet to lay an egg. Has anyone else had this happen? Will she eventually catch up with the rest or is she lacking something? Has anyone ever had a hen that didn't lay?
All my hens laid at 22 weeks but one Lav Am laid at about 24 weeks Youre almost there! Are they clucking yet ? Setting on a nest?

Okay. I will try to be patient. It just seems so odd that she is sooo far behind with the growth of her head stuff. @ roxannemc, to my knowledge none of the chickens get in the nest except for the one or two that are actually laying. Do they try the nest out for size before the real thing or what? Thanks for the replies.

Back
Top Bottom