Pullet not eating, don't know what to do!

rcentner

Songster
10 Years
Sep 6, 2009
Le Roy, NY
1) What type of bird , age and weight - Brown leghorn pullet, approx 6 months? her comb just flopped over about 1 week ago
2) What is the behavior, exactly. - lethargic, not eating, some watery diarrhea
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? - 3-4 days
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? - no
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no, but feathers on back near top of tail look ragged, no poo on her butt feathers
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I have CRD and just completed a treatment with denagard, sneezing and coughing gone from entire flock
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. she has layena, grit and oyster shell available at all times and I spread corn in the morning
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. some normal but small amount and some very watery with small bits of stool in it
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? denagard tx done, gave a little yogurt the other day but she wont eat, syringe fed a small amount of water with ACV
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I have vet access
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use coop with attached run, wood shavings for bedding, fresh water daily, cleaned coop with dilute bleach solution almost 2 weeks ago

I suspect that she has sour crop from the meds, my other thought is she could be dehydrated if she didn't drink enough while the meds were in the water. She is not sneezing and shows no signs of the CRD and she did not have the CRD symptoms as bad as some of the flock mates. She is the lowest member of the flock (just thought that might be useful).

my 2nd thought is egg bound since I THINK she has not laid an egg yet. Hard to tell since I am gone most of the time to work and have a lot of white egg layers. I saw her in a nest box sunday, and she laid no egg, but I thought she could be practicing.

Her abdomen feels normal, but I think I need to do a rectal exam to be sure.

Just wondered if anyone had any suggestions on where to start with her. I hate to tube feed her yet....I don't like risking aspiration pneumonia until they are looking bad. She is very spunky and now that she is in the house she just looks freaked out.

Last edited:
after antibiotics she needs probiotics, yogurt and or butter milk, maybe try the yogurt with something she really likes mixed with it. Mine love ww bread so maybe a little of that mixed with butter milk or yogurt. Also mixed with scrambed egg or oatmeal warm. They all need the probiotics for at least 3 days now

Last edited:
she wont eat bread or corn or scrambled eggs! I am hoping the yogurt is enough cause she only takes it off her beak, she wont just eat it

what about oatmeal mine love it and you can mix it with the yogurt. raisins they love too anything that might intice her to eat more yogurt and get her gut working right again. Just as we can get yeast from taking antibiotics so can our chickens.

haven't tried oatmeal, but she wouldn't eat the dry oats the other day when I fed some to the flock. She did eat a cluster fly out of the bathroom though! I needed her in the house a month ago when I had a lot of flies. She seems pretty freaked out, I am not sure being in the bathroom is good for her, but she is warmer than the flock. I am wondering if she might do better with the flock, maybe she wants to eat some snow. She is easy to catch so I can still give her yogurt and special attention out there

but if she has something the rest of the flock could come down with? I would think she would still be better off away from them for now till you have a handle on this. But in the long run you have to make that decision.

She decided to eat some corn after I made her eat some yogurt. It almost seems like she wants me to be holding her while she eats. She is more comfy in the bathroom now and I would feel bad putting her back out now...this morning it was raining and now the ground is covered in snow. So I changed my mind...she will stay in the bathroom today, the toilet flushing isn't bothering her so much now, lol.

I hope it's just a case of sour crop/yeast build up and not something serious...why is it always my DH's fav chicken that gets sick? His last favorite chicken died in August after a long battle with trichomonas. It is easier to bring them in the house if he loves them though! God forbid "bun one" ever gets sick...he hates her.

Back
Top Bottom