Pullet Not Maturing As Expected

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StephanieC, Oct 12, 2014.

1. StephanieC

StephanieC Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2014
    Florida
    This isn't an Emergency, I don't think it is a Disease, and it isn't an Injury and I don't need a Cure, but I am not getting any response where I put this on the Barred Rock thread, so...

My Barred Rock, Cuda, just turned six months old, yet she still looks like a four month old. Her comb is barely started, she has no wattles, and her face and comb are still pink. She is also at least a third smaller than a full grown BR. Also, her size and appearance have remained completely unchanged for at least two months. What could be going on? Does a chicken ever fail to mature and stay a pullet?

2. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    Not all form combs or wabbles.It's nothing.I've had a hen like that.Barreds aren't big birds though.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    She may very well have a congenital problem that has stunted her growth. She may or may not ever lay. If she does lay, her eggs should not be hatched.

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X2.

5. StephanieC

May 8, 2014
    Florida
    Yes, I had begun to wonder if that might be the case. She was to be a layer, anyway, I don't have a rooster.

Cuda has had a rough time of things. She was nearly taken by a hawk when very young, got herself stuck in the bars of the dog exercise pen she was in at the time of the attack, and it took a few minutes for me to extricate her. She was all puffed up and didn't eat for 24 hours after but then was fine. Then she was picked on in the coop, and had to be in a hospital crate for a week while I solved my coop issues. And there was some other incident that I can't seem to remember. But whenever anything bad happens, it always seems to be Cuda in trouble.

That said, she is smart, resourceful and healthy. And my favorite. I just want her to be happy.

ThePRFan, thanks for responding. I have never seen a Barred Rock that wasn't fully combed and fully wattled and very large. My girlfriend's BRs are bigger than her very large Orpingtons.

Here is Cuda, six months old (the bump on her head is leftover from her coop attack several weeks ago; I guess it's permanent):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ThePRfan

ThePRfan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2014
    That may not even be a BR.It looks like a dominque.

7. StephanieC

May 8, 2014
    Florida
    All I know is she was one of a large order of Barred Rocks that came into my feed store from Ideal Poultry, and she looked just like all the other chicks. Her comb is small, but it sure doesn't look like a rose comb to me. It is thin and sticks straight up in a single line. And either way, no red color, and no wattles at all.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Dominiques do not have single combs. She is a 'for some reason' stunted BR.

9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Actually, this bird has the breed characteristics of a BR and not of a Dominque -- specifically the single comb. When you hear hoofbeats think horses, not zebras.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by