Pullet open mouth/lethargic

feliciadawn

Songster
Mar 31, 2020
Delaware County (near Philly), PA
I have a 3.5-month old pullet who, starting yesterday, became sedentary and sleepy, seemed cold even in warm weather, and is breathing at times with her mouth open. No mucous, coughing, sneezing, or watery eyes. I took her inside and gave her a nice nest in our bathroom with a heat pad. I also started her on Corid, just in case it is coccidiosis. She had a whole bunch of little 6-week old chicks with her in her pen -- none seem sick, and I have no recently introduced chickens. This pullet, and most of her pen-mates, I hatched myself.

She did recently experience a stressor -- I had to give away her best friend/only remaining hatch partner, who was male. She is eating some and drinking the corid water.

So far no sign of runny poo.

Any thoughts on what I can do to help her? I can't afford to take her to a vet.

duckworth-sick.jpg

I have a 3.5-month old pullet who, starting yesterday, became sedentary and sleepy, seemed cold even in warm weather, and is breathing at times with her mouth open. No mucous, coughing, sneezing, or watery eyes. I took her inside and gave her a nice nest in our bathroom with a heat pad. I also started her on Corid, just in case it is coccidiosis. She had a whole bunch of little 6-week old chicks with her in her pen -- none seem sick, and I have no recently introduced chickens. This pullet, and most of her pen-mates, I hatched myself.

She did recently experience a stressor -- I had to give away her best friend/only remaining hatch partner, who was male. She is eating some and drinking the corid water.

So far no sign of runny poo.

Any thoughts on what I can do to help her? I can't afford to take her to a vet.

View attachment 2668894
oh that poor pullet... I would start the chicks on corid too since it doesnt hurt to be safe. Good luck with your pullet.

Back
Top Bottom