Pullet or cockerel ? 16 weeks old

mj657657

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2016

I have the same question. I had a hen who was brooding but the eggs didn't hatch. After one month of her sitting on the eggs, I went to the farm store and purchased 3 one day old chicks and that night when she was asleep about 11PM I put them under her and took the bad eggs. She immediately started to talk "her" babies and all was well. She is a coo coo maran and the chicks are black Australorps don't know if I spelled either of those correctly. So now is we are at 10 weeks and 2 chicks have combs and wattles and one has none. Do I have 2 roos and a hen or might they all be hens. Any one venture a guess. I went back to the store and even though the sign posted on the chicks coop said that they were sexted, the clerk told me that was only 90% accurate and "They do not take back roosters.". Thanks.

Last edited:

I have the same question. I had a hen who was brooding but the eggs didn't hatch. After one month of her sitting on the eggs, I went to the farm store and purchased 3 one day old chicks and that night when she was asleep about 11PM I put them under her and took the bad eggs. She immediately started to talk "her" babies and all was well. She is a coo coo maran and the chicks are black Australorps don't know if I spelled either of those correctly. So now is we are at 10 weeks and 2 chicks have combs and wattles and one has none. Do I have 2 roos and a hen or might they all be hens. Any one venture a guess. I went back to the store and even though the sign posted on the chicks coop said that they were sexted, the clerk told me that was only 90% accurate and "They do not take back roosters.". Thanks.

2nd pic is a pullet, lower two cockerels

Vjreilly, looks like you're correct the two on the bottom
Are Roos and the one without comb and wattles is a pullet. Mine are a australorp mix, most of the Roos were really obvious very early. But this one is in the middle, I am swaying towards a roo with mine just due to body structure even though the wattles and comb aren't quite large.

Back
Top Bottom