Pullet or cockerel ISA Brown

Ocho 8 Farm

Songster
Sep 18, 2022
Southern Atlanta, GA
Can someone tell me if this is a pullet or a cockerel ? It’s 8 weeks old today. Also, it was supposed to be a Buff Orpington but I’m pretty sure it’s an ISA Brown (Both breeds were in the same brooder and my 2 others are definitely Buffs)
I’m new to chickens so if you can identify the sex and breed could you tell my why you think what you think ? Thanks ! I’m trying to learn all i can

Attachments

• FCE321E9-22E4-4410-B244-37C320267D0F.jpeg
    FCE321E9-22E4-4410-B244-37C320267D0F.jpeg
    673.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 118E1F7B-B9D3-4E56-BF1D-E6B08563C1FC.jpeg
    118E1F7B-B9D3-4E56-BF1D-E6B08563C1FC.jpeg
    635.7 KB · Views: 29
  • A0C3364A-C26B-4CEE-B8D1-55846D02532B.jpeg
    A0C3364A-C26B-4CEE-B8D1-55846D02532B.jpeg
    894.1 KB · Views: 29
Can someone tell me if this is a pullet or a cockerel ? It’s 8 weeks old today. Also, it was supposed to be a Buff Orpington but I’m pretty sure it’s an ISA Brown (Both breeds were in the same brooder and my 2 others are definitely Buffs)
I’m new to chickens so if you can identify the sex and breed could you tell my why you think what you think ? Thanks ! I’m trying to learn all i can
It looks like an ISA Brown female to me. Or some kind of red sexlink female. They are the most common kind of chicken that has the brown & white patterning I see on your bird (lots of brown or gold or red, with white in the tail and around the base of the neck and maybe some bits in other places.) Red Sexlinks are sold under varoius names, including ISA Brown, Golden Comet, Red Star, and many others. I don't bother trying to tell different kinds of Red Sexlinks apart, because they are all so similar in appearance and laying ability.

It could possibly be an Easter Egger, because some hatcheries have recently started offering Easter Eggers that look like Red Sexlinks. You should know for sure when she starts laying eggs: Red Sexlinks lay brown eggs, while Easter Eggers lay blue or green eggs.

I do not think it is a male of any breed, because the comb & wattles would be larger and redder.

It is definitely not an ISA Brown male, because those males have different coloring in their feathers (because ISA Browns are sexlinks, where the males and females have different colors for easy sexing).

You are right that it is not a Buff Orpington. Buff Orpingtons should be an even shade of buff all over, without obvious bits of white. The feet are also the wrong color, because your bird has yellow feet and Orpingtons have white feet.

Details I looked at when trying to figure out the breed:
--color and pattern of feathers (red & white, with the white in specific places)
--color of feet (yellow, not white or blue or green or black)
--single comb
--clean shanks & feet (no feathers on them)
--clean face (no fluffy muff & beard on the face)
--no crest
--normal feathers (not Silkie or Frizzle)

Details I looked at when trying to figure out the gender:
--size & color of comb and wattles
--color of feathers (useful for certain breeds and hybrids, but not in others)
--shape of feathers on the back and sides, near the tail (males grow long pointy saddle feathers, although they often wait longer than 8 weeks to start growing those feathers. But any chicken that does have male saddle feathers must be a male, unless it's a rare hen with a hormone problem.)

If it is an Isa Brown, which it appears to be, it would be white with red flecking if it was a cockerel. That being said , if not a red sex link there is no male specific feathering or comb/wattle development that would indicate cockerel - granted 8 weeks would be early for that.

It looks like an ISA Brown female to me. Or some kind of red sexlink female. They are the most common kind of chicken that has the brown & white patterning I see on your bird (lots of brown or gold or red, with white in the tail and around the base of the neck and maybe some bits in other places.) Red Sexlinks are sold under varoius names, including ISA Brown, Golden Comet, Red Star, and many others. I don't bother trying to tell different kinds of Red Sexlinks apart, because they are all so similar in appearance and laying ability.

It could possibly be an Easter Egger, because some hatcheries have recently started offering Easter Eggers that look like Red Sexlinks. You should know for sure when she starts laying eggs: Red Sexlinks lay brown eggs, while Easter Eggers lay blue or green eggs.

I do not think it is a male of any breed, because the comb & wattles would be larger and redder.

It is definitely not an ISA Brown male, because those males have different coloring in their feathers (because ISA Browns are sexlinks, where the males and females have different colors for easy sexing).

You are right that it is not a Buff Orpington. Buff Orpingtons should be an even shade of buff all over, without obvious bits of white. The feet are also the wrong color, because your bird has yellow feet and Orpingtons have white feet.

Details I looked at when trying to figure out the breed:
--color and pattern of feathers (red & white, with the white in specific places)
--color of feet (yellow, not white or blue or green or black)
--single comb
--clean shanks & feet (no feathers on them)
--clean face (no fluffy muff & beard on the face)
--no crest
--normal feathers (not Silkie or Frizzle)

Details I looked at when trying to figure out the gender:
--size & color of comb and wattles
--color of feathers (useful for certain breeds and hybrids, but not in others)
--shape of feathers on the back and sides, near the tail (males grow long pointy saddle feathers, although they often wait longer than 8 weeks to start growing those feathers. But any chicken that does have male saddle feathers must be a male, unless it's a rare hen with a hormone problem.)
Wow!! Thanks so much for all the details! I really appreciate your help! I knew it wasn’t a Buff because my others are just that… BUFF! No other colors!
Thank you 🙏🏻

If it is an Isa Brown, which it appears to be, it would be white with red flecking if it was a cockerel. That being said , if not a red sex link there is no male specific feathering or comb/wattle development that would indicate cockerel - granted 8 weeks would be early for that.
Thank you! I appreciate the help.

Back
Top Bottom