Pullet or cockerel please?

alsykes2000

Chirping
Apr 6, 2023
West Texas desert
Wondering if anyone can tell if this 8 week old ameraucana is a pullet or cockerel? I was thinking pullet but this chick is so aggressive/ assertive with the flock and with me. Thank you in advance.
AA3A0F44-909E-4F1C-8FDD-BCD00AC1BACB.jpeg
AEF2CD3D-2613-4715-9A01-C3F2BC42E573.jpeg
FFF48B3B-6E08-42D8-916E-6D96DFF5EEA3.jpeg
5EAD330D-F87A-43F0-8459-C0A37A2807F5.jpeg

Attachments

• C388F06A-CE47-44BF-9896-FBFD610373B4.jpeg
    C388F06A-CE47-44BF-9896-FBFD610373B4.jpeg
    447.9 KB · Views: 8
Pullet! And not that is changes her likely blue eggs, or pretty pattern- but she's an Easter Egger (EE). Ameraucanas are a specific pure breed, and most of us have EEs- they're great birds!
Thank you! I started thinking she was probably an Easter egger. I bought her from Murray mcmurray hatchery (advertised as ameraucana), but the more I’ve researched and seen posts about the interchanging of wording, I’ve suspected that. I love my little flock no matter what they are 😊!

Thank you! I started thinking she was probably an Easter egger. I bought her from Murray mcmurray hatchery (advertised as ameraucana), but the more I’ve researched and seen posts about the interchanging of wording, I’ve suspected that. I love my little flock no matter what they are 😊!
It gets even trickier- some hatcheries call them Americanas- so careful not to overtly fib, but close enough to confuse.

It used to mean a bearded, muffed blue-or-green egg laying hen. Now it can be these traits, or crested, or none of the above!

But we all seem to love the blue and green eggs, so maybe it shouldn't matter. Just as long as they're not being sold as Ameraucanas!

It gets even trickier- some hatcheries call them Americanas- so careful not to overtly fib, but close enough to confuse.

It used to mean a bearded, muffed blue-or-green egg laying hen. Now it can be these traits, or crested, or none of the above!

But we all seem to love the blue and green eggs, so maybe it shouldn't matter. Just as long as they're not being sold as Ameraucanas!
When I decided I wanted chickens, I had no idea how many breeds there are, and all the considerations I’d have to make before ordering them. In hindsight, I still would have purchased my girls if they had been correctly advertised as Easter eggers. I do wish the hatchery was honest about this with their customers.

Back
Top Bottom