Pullet or Cockerel (Rhode Island RED)

Oh my gosh! Why would they do that? Ok, is there a place I sell him on on BYC?
ep.gif

Some people prefer to eat chickens that have been raised in healthy and humane conditions rather than factory farms. Sometimes a cockerel will become too aggressive to safely keep. You can't expect someone to keep a bird if they can't even go in the run to refill a waterer without fending off attacks. You can't rehome a bird like that, and it can be too much of a liability to keep him around.

He dislikes it when I shoo him off of the deck because he dislikes being bossed around. However, he is not aggressive as far as roosters go. He simply does not like being pushed around. He never charges anybody, or tries to hurt them.

I hand raised him, so he is pretty friendly. He is not at the top of the pecking order, and he does not mind it when I pick up "his" girls.

Some people prefer to eat chickens that have been raised in healthy and humane conditions rather than factory farms. Sometimes a cockerel will become too aggressive to safely keep. You can't expect someone to keep a bird if they can't even go in the run to refill a waterer without fending off attacks. You can't rehome a bird like that, and it can be too much of a liability to keep him around.

X2, although I do keep cocks, they are locked up in an electric fence where they can't hurt anybody

He dislikes it when I shoo him off of the deck because he dislikes being bossed around. However, he is not aggressive as far as roosters go. He simply does not like being pushed around. He never charges anybody, or tries to hurt them.

He is still young; his personality has not developed yet. All my cockerels have started off "nice" and have gotten more aggressive with age. None of them have attacked me more than once; they respect me, but not the rest of the family, especially children. If he does become aggressive (RIRs have more of a tendency towards that) you had better not keep him. You can advertise him here on BYC in "animals in need of free rehoming"
Hope it works out for you

Back
Top Bottom