Pullet OR cockerel?!?

Amy_2cnnv

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2020
My chicks are about 2 weeks 5 days as of this post. I was wondering if it’s too early to tell if they are Roos our hens. I had 4 jersey Giants one is supposed to be male and the rest females. One of them died within the first 24 hours after shipment and I’m hoping it wasn’t my roo. I got 16 chicks total in shipment and all but 1 are supposed to be hens. In my picture there is a jersey giant and another black chick (black leghorn maybe?) next to each other and I think they are both Roos. Or is it too early to tell? The other 2 jersey giants are in the background
EC985CB3-1C94-494C-A671-2C2A56FE168E.jpeg

They’re too young to accurately sex. In my opinion, any guesses are just guesses. JG are supposed to be slow maturers. I’d say the minimum for sexing is 6 weeks, 8+ is ideal. Sex will become more apparent as they age, if any are cockerels, they’ll soon start reddening up but they may not, some are slow developers. This is just my opinion, as I personally wouldn’t guess their sex at this age unless they already had a huge bright red comb.
Yes, but it's so fun staring at their combs for 15 minutes straight morning and night comparing them all and looking for any difference...

They’re too young to accurately sex. In my opinion, any guesses are just guesses. JG are supposed to be slow maturers. I’d say the minimum for sexing is 6 weeks, 8+ is ideal. Sex will become more apparent as they age, if any are cockerels, they’ll soon start reddening up but they may not, some are slow developers. This is just my opinion, as I personally wouldn’t guess their sex at this age unless they already had a huge bright red comb.

I think the one in the very back is a boy, that's alot of comb and im not seeing any feathers yet "hard to tell though".
Im also guessing the black one closest to the front is male.
The other black one is iffy but im leaning more girl right now.
i dont care which of the jersey giants is a male as long as there is one lol. as for the black one in the front, i got that one as part of an "egg production pack" and the only option it could be from the list of possible chickens they named is the black leghorn or black sex link. but their webiste says "may include one of the following" so that leads me to believe it could be something other then what was listed.

im just worried that if there is a second rooster then it may be aggressive towards my jersey giant once they grow up. hoping thats not the case though since they are hatchmates. also my coop is really 2 coops put together both about 8 ft tall and 5x10 and each have seperate roosting areas that have 2-3 bars they can roost on. i also let my chickens free range during the day.

Back
Top Bottom