Pullet or Roo easter egger mixes?

AloneNTheGarden

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2022
Hi all! I’m usually pretty solid at sexing chicks by this age, but this is my first year ever hatching out Easter egger mixes, and I’m completely unsure about 2 in particular. They are about to turn 9 weeks old this Sunday. Each has characteristics that have me wondering. For example, these two both had combs that turned red fairly early on (compared to their sister that I know for a fact is a girl), but their wattles aren’t coming down as much as one that I know for certain is a roo. One of them also has a flat comb, which throws me off because I’ve never had any breeds with a flat comb before. The first one has some pretty iridescent feathers, also, but I know that sometimes hens will have them as well. I’m hoping someone with a better trained eye can help me out.

Here is chick one:
ABAD6342-9804-40E1-B377-2F985FDAB968.jpeg

F57BE332-9903-4A36-A9C8-498A8C2E7D71.jpeg

7BB5D5CD-FEC6-41D9-AD9E-C3B4EBA2BBC4.jpeg

And this is chick two:
84D7D434-2568-4D2D-911E-5DF35EAE943B.jpeg

C6525331-663B-4D39-82BE-FB6AA4328FDD.jpeg

Hi all! I’m usually pretty solid at sexing chicks by this age, but this is my first year ever hatching out Easter egger mixes, and I’m completely unsure about 2 in particular. They are about to turn 9 weeks old this Sunday. Each has characteristics that have me wondering. For example, these two both had combs that turned red fairly early on (compared to their sister that I know for a fact is a girl), but their wattles aren’t coming down as much as one that I know for certain is a roo. One of them also has a flat comb, which throws me off because I’ve never had any breeds with a flat comb before. The first one has some pretty iridescent feathers, also, but I know that sometimes hens will have them as well. I’m hoping someone with a better trained eye can help me out.

Here is chick one:
View attachment 3543519
View attachment 3543520
View attachment 3543521

And this is chick two:
View attachment 3543524
View attachment 3543526
Sorry, both are Roos

Second one has a cushion comb has some chantecler dna somewhere.
Interesting! I bought these eggs from a lady who has a huge mixed flock, but she said they’d all be Easter egger mixes of some sort. She said all her roosters are Americauna, but she has hens of all different kinds. I didn’t care much what they were, this was just my first year hatching chicken eggs and they were pretty cheap, so I scooped them up.

Back
Top Bottom