Pullet or Roo? Think breed is EE...?

Are you saying that the feathers she has now, will be replaced and that it's STILL a possibility that she is a He? Cause she started getting those feathers at about 6 weeks....?

Yes, the stringy/pointy hackle, saddle and sickle feathers do not start to come in until 10-12 weeks old. But don't worry, I'm pretty sure you've got a pullet. ;)

Where did you get them? Your Araucana looks like an Easter Egger and your Easter Egger maybe a Black sex-link. Thy both look like pullets either way.
The EE in question, I rescued from a drug addict down the street...so I have no idea Exactly how old she is or Exactly what she looked like as a chick. I was told she looked like the little 'chipmunk' chicks. And I thought that those were Araucana/Americauna/EE breed. I am SOOOOO confused. The only thing I'm sure of, is that she is a Chicken!? :barnie
And the Araucana I got from a local feed store here in Reno, Nv. And since I have read ALL the conflicting information about the Araucana/Americauna/EE breeds, and that even official breed experts can't agree; when the lady at the feed store told me, "my birds are Real Araucana's" I just let it go in one ear and it the other. But, I don't care if she is or isn't, i only paid 5$ for her. These girls are pets, I like the look of the Araucana....and the two other breeds, that's why I bought her.
I was told before, by someone on the site that my EE was more likely a Black sexlink. I looked those up and I don't think she looks Anything like that. So can you guys explain why you think she is a Sex link? I also found I pic a member posted on here and it looks EXACTLY like my EE....so I asked her what her chicken was, and she said an EE, and added she has never owned a Black Sexlink. So can my chicken look like another breed, yet not be a different breed? I can post that picture of the chicken she looks like. And my avatar is my EE (in question)
20170506_225147.jpg

I would like to see what a Black Sexlink looks like? Anyways, I'm just so confused...I have figured out she's a She, but no idea What SHE is...besides a chicken lol....I need to be schooled on this whole breed thing....so All the professional chicken people....Teach me! I'm ready:)
:pop
Thanks....confused in Reno
Jacquie

I could be very, very wrong, but I think your first chick is a Legbar cross, and your second is an Ameraucanas cross, but either way I think they're both EEs.
I'm way new to chickens... got my first girl (the EE in question) on April 12. My question is, why do you think she looks like a Legbar cross. Crossed with what else? I can't 'see' what everyone else is talking about. Lol

I'm way new to chickens... got my first girl (the EE in question) on April 12. My question is, why do you think she looks like a Legbar cross. Crossed with what else? I can't 'see' what everyone else is talking about. Lol

I'm pretty sure I'm wrong. I'm on a different computer and her feather patterns and colors stand out much more now. Most EEs are Ameraucana mixed with something else. Ameraucanas have pea combs, which is a dominant trait. Your EE looks like it has a single comb, and Legbars have single combs and lay blue eggs, so if it is in fact an EE it might've come from a legbar. Other, much more knowledgeable chicken people have weighed in though, so I'd go with their opinions lol. I'm trying to improve my own knowledge on chickens and apply what I've learned, but I am usually wrong lol

I'm pretty sure I'm wrong. I'm on a different computer and her feather patterns and colors stand out much more now. Most EEs are Ameraucana mixed with something else. Ameraucanas have pea combs, which is a dominant trait. Your EE looks like it has a single comb, and Legbars have single combs and lay blue eggs, so if it is in fact an EE it might've come from a legbar. Other, much more knowledgeable chicken people have weighed in though, so I'd go with their opinions lol. I'm trying to improve my own knowledge on chickens and apply what I've learned, but I am usually wrong lol

No, EEs are not AM mixes. They are pretty much their own 'breed' - hatchery chickens that usually lay blue/green eggs and have beards/muffs. Can be almost any color.

I said MOST EEs are Am mixes. They aren't a breed by any stretch, the only real requirement is they lay colored eggs and that isn't even a guarantee. Since only Cream Legbars, Araucanas, and Ameraucanas produce blue eggs, any blue egg laying chicken will either be one of those breeds or mixed with them.

@Jacquieh that was so kind of you to rescue the chick! I understand that they are just pets, I just wanted to mention it since you were in this part of the forum. The reason I think she looks like a BSL is because she does not have muffed cheeks, she has a single comb, and from the picture it looks like she is black with copper leakage starting at the chest and spreading (am I wrong?). This is one of my BSLs at a young age:
upload_2017-5-28_8-4-50.png

But I also got this girl from a bin of BSLs (she is a mix):
upload_2017-5-28_8-5-26.png

and this guy (another mix labeled as a Australorp)
upload_2017-5-28_8-5-58.png

Whatever your girls are I understand they are just your girls and their breeds don't necessarily matter :).

Back
Top Bottom