Pullet or Roo?

pammurphy132

Songster
5 Years
Apr 30, 2018
Bought 8 pullets at tractor supply supposed to be hens but off i was a betting woman the multicolored chic with the big red headdress looks like a rooster and he manages the rest of the chics. I'mm alright with that because i hasn't had a rooster in a few years. My last one was very aggressive and wouldn't let me in my own back yard so he went to a local farmer. I handle this little one so hopefully he will like me🤣

Attachments

• IMG_4052.jpeg
    IMG_4052.jpeg
    726.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4053.jpeg
    IMG_4053.jpeg
    401.5 KB · Views: 12
That's what i thought so hopefully i can make friends and stay on his s
Just make sure he knows you are the flock leader, and never to be challenged.

I find standing in the pen for 10 minutes, puff yourself up and stare at them and take slow steps following them around the coop, then throw them a really enticing treat, like mealworms, when you are done. Repeat daily for a week.

If he ever raises his hackles at you, hold your arms out, stomp and scream at him until he runs away - then throw him treats. It is possible He won't run away, and in that case, keep trying this method. The ones that still attack after all this, repeatedly, become stew here. Instinctively they can just be too big for their bridges.

Holding them often can result in negative attitudes because they view you as a flock mate to be controlled.

All this Looks silly, but works for us often.

Cockerel. The tricks of making a cockerel your friend never worked with me. They either have it in the genes to not be dumb enough to view you as a threat or they don't. If you're unlucky enough that they do, you could try bringing a stick or something in the run every time you go in, but all you can do is discourage the behavior

Back
Top Bottom