Hi
my chickens are 7 weeks old and im haveing real problems sexing them

please could someone help
x

99506_chicks_002.jpg

99506_chicks_009.jpg

99506_chicks_003.jpg

99506_chicks_001.jpg

Ohh, I'm afraid the red one looks like a little RIR roo. Anyone with some real expertise out there? To me, the blacks look like roos too at 7 weeks, good bit of waddle there for that age. I can't see enough of the gray one behind the black (Australorp anyone?) to tell anything about it except that I'd put money on that one being a roo. The white one with the cape might be a light Brahma if it has feathered legs, and it looks like a pullet to me. If not feathering on the legs, then it could be a columbia rock or a light sussex. Hard for me to tell without a good sideways body shot of it, and then I'm no expert in telling between the 3. Good luck though. Hope you are able to keep roos where you are, just in case I'm right.

Ohh, I'm afraid the red one looks like a little RIR roo. Anyone with some real expertise out there? To me, the blacks look like roos too at 7 weeks, good bit of waddle there for that age. I can't see enough of the gray one behind the black (Australorp anyone?) to tell anything about it except that I'd put money on that one being a roo. The white one with the cape might be a light Brahma if it has feathered legs, and it looks like a pullet to me. If not feathering on the legs, then it could be a columbia rock or a light sussex. Hard for me to tell without a good sideways body shot of it, and then I'm no expert in telling between the 3. Good luck though. Hope you are able to keep roos where you are, just in case I'm right.

Hi

Thanks i was hoping one of my jersey giants was going to be a girl, im pretty sure the light sussex is a girl but i dont no what the speckled one is i will try to get a better picture

thanks x

Can any one tell me what the White chick is with the reddy colour in and does it look like a he or a she x

Looks to be a pullet. Might be a red star / sex-link.

The only one for sure that's a cockerel so far is the Rhode Island Red.

Aw I hope I've only got one roo I don't want to have to part with any of them so the red one looks like a rir. Can anyone suggest what the speckled one is I thought it was a roo but have know idea what breed it is x

The red (a rhode island red?) depends. The pullets have combs and waddles. My understanding is a rir can be sexed at birth (or when young) because the females have a dark/black spot on top of their head. When we got ours she was about a week old and had that top spot. I can't remember when her comb and waddles started to grow. The comb was yellow for at least a few weeks, I know that.

Here is a pic of our RIR around 7 weeks

87741_002.jpg

edit... i thought you'd get a better view. Here is a close up

87741_002closeup.jpg

Last edited:
It had a v on it's head and looked like it had eye liner on I can remember it cam from a huge really dark terracotta coloured egg and chip was huge we called him dino bird as it was so big. I'm really sorry it's the first time I've ever hatched chicks x

Back
Top Bottom