pullet or roo

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by chixdiggit, Feb 16, 2013.

1. chixdiggit

chixdiggit New Egg

Feb 16, 2013
    Hi all, I've seen a bunch of threads with this question. I guess it's my turn. This is my 6 week old barred rock pullet[​IMG][/IMG], or not. What do the more experienced members think?

2. chixdiggit

chixdiggit New Egg

Feb 16, 2013
    [​IMG]
    Heres a body shot.

3. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    looks like a boy [​IMG] cute

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I agree - likes like a little guy.

5. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    With that comb and the lite coloring it's a boy.

6. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Definitely a roo, he's a cutie!

7. chixdiggit

chixdiggit New Egg

Feb 16, 2013
    Oh, I'm so disapppointed to hear it! He IS a cutie, and he curls up to sleep in the crook of my arm. I hate to think of giving him up!

8. Rebeceee

Rebeceee New Egg

Oct 27, 2012
    He's adorable!! Why do you have to give him up?

9. chixdiggit

chixdiggit New Egg

Feb 16, 2013
    Well...the short answer is that we live in a HOA that doesn't permit chickens at all.

The longer story is this. When my son and I started talking about having chickens, I knew there were no problems with keeping chickens in Tucson, because thus community is full of backyard chickeners. It's a phenomenon here.Never occurred to me about the HOA until we were well into our coop building, and somebidy told us about the HOA policy. We decided to go forward anyhow after talking to our neighbors. We have great neighbors, nobody would give us any trouble about a small quiet flock of chickens. But, we risk jeopardizing that piece, I think, if we have a noisy rooster. The chances of us getting reported and our operation shutdown would go up consiserably.

10. chixdiggit

chixdiggit New Egg

Feb 16, 2013
    Woops, that posted before i was ready. Im just worried the rooster will out us beyond my friendly neighbors. I may wait, though, and see how noisy he is...my son and i both would prefer to see Roxie/Rocky stay!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by