Pullet or roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sigmachigirl, Sep 6, 2013.

1. sigmachigirl

sigmachigirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2013
    [​IMG]
    We just traded in our silver laced brahma roo for what we hope is a girl. Colorations are much more white across most if her body (with exception of tail and head). Her colors are so different than our roo's were in fact that I am guessing she is a pullet. The breeder had put her in with her others to be kept, and couldn't remember what she was. Dark, light or silver laced. Thoughts? I'm going with silver laced as she looks nothing like our light brahma. She is about 12-14 weeks old.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If the age is correct, then you would have a pullet, but it doesn't look like a pure brahma. ( or a poor quality one).

Can you get a picture of the bird standing, keeping the side view?

3. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    I will try tomorrow. Our dark brahma looked crazy until the older bird feathers came in. Her feathers, in that respect, remind me of his. But only a totally different color. Thank you for your feedback she is very sweet.

4. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    [​IMG]

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Color wise maybe it is a mix between dark & laced? There is not much comb or wattle development, but not much in the way of tail feathers, and maybe it is the angle of the camera, but boy the size of those feet, color is mixed up enough can't really see what is coming in on the back, so, can't really decide which way to vote on boy or girl with that one.

6. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    The breeder bred a silver laced with her dark brahma hen. :). We had a roo come from her, his colorations were so dark, everywhere, even on the breast. This little one's disposition is much friendlier than my roo, and she is mostly white. Her tail feathers are sparse, but remind me a lot of my little girl light brahma's tail feathers at about this age. I guess I will just have to wait and see. Afraid to get attached and have her be a he...

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think cockerel.

8. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Wow those legs are thick, if that's a female I wonder if there is a broiler bird crossed in with the brahma?

9. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    She is definitely all brahma, but yes, brahmas are big girls! 8-10lbs, though slow to mature so they look a little funny between baby and laying! Her stature and demeanor are like our other girl's. they are also known as dual purpose birds, but we don't intend to eat her.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  10. ClucksAndPeeps

ClucksAndPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Cockerel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by